Legal Articles
Wrongful Termination
Get Started Finding a Local Attorney Now

Simply fill out this form to connect with an Attorney serving your area.

Connecticut Wrongful Termination

In the state of Connecticut, most jobs are "at will," meaning you can quit at any time and your employer can terminate you for almost any reason or no reason at all. (The exceptions to at-will employment include employees who work under a collective bargaining agreement as well as those who have employment contracts.) There are, however, reasons when it's illegal to fire an employee, and if you've been discharged for one of these illegal reasons, then an employment lawyer or wrongful termination attorney can help you take legal action against your former employer.

Were You Wrongfully Terminated?

How do you know if you've been a victim of wrongful termination?

Sometimes it's easy to know if you've been wrongfully discharged. For example, if you are a union employee and were fired in violation of your collective bargaining agreement, that would be a wrongful termination. The same is true if you were fired in violation of the terms of your employment contract.

Perhaps your employer told you why you were being terminated. For example, in Connecticut there's something known as the public policy exception to at-will employment. That means an employer can't fire an employee for doing something permitted by public policy, such as filing a workers' compensation claim or serving jury duty. If your employer told you that you were being let go for performing one of these actions or if your discharge happened immediately afterward, you may be a victim of wrongful termination.

Then there are the situations that aren't as obvious or easy to prove. You may have been wrongfully terminated if you can prove:

  • You are a member of a protected class and were terminated for discriminatory reasons
  • You had an implied employment contract with your employer and were terminated in spite of that implied contract
  • You were terminated because your employer wanted to avoid paying retirement benefits, a commission or bonus you might have been owed if you'd remained in your job

If any of these situations describe what happened to you, talk to a wrongful discharge lawyer immediately. In many instances, you have just a few months to file a claim against your former employer. An attorney can guide you through the process.

Find & Hire Local Connecticut Wrongful Termination Attorneys can help connect you with wrongful discharge lawyers in Hartford, New Haven, Bridgeport and elsewhere in Connecticut. To use our free legal referral service, complete the form on this page or call us at 877-913-7222. We'll ask you a few simple questions, then quickly match you with wrongful termination lawyers in your area.