Legal Articles
Workers Compensation
Get Started Finding a Local Attorney Now

Simply fill out this form to connect with an Attorney serving your area.

Workers' Compensation in South Carolina

If you've been injured on the job or developed an occupational illness, you may be entitled to compensation to pay for your medical expenses, lost wages and any temporary or permanent disability. Under South Carolina law, you don't have to sue your employer to collect this compensation. Instead, it's paid by South Carolina workers' compensation insurance. But you still may encounter problems getting the insurer to pay what you deserve. In situations like that, the help of a South Carolina workers' compensation attorney can be invaluable.

South Carolina Workers' Compensation Basics

Who Is Covered? South Carolina law requires employers to provide workers' compensation insurance for most full-time and part-time employees in the state. Certain federal employees are excluded from state-mandated coverage because they are covered under other plans. Additionally, agricultural workers, casual workers, employees at businesses with fewer than four employees and some real estate employees may not be covered by workers' compensation insurance.

What Is Covered? According to the South Carolina Workers' Compensation Commission, "Workers’ compensation pays for necessary medical treatment, loss of wages during a period of disability, and compensation for permanent disability or disfigurement. If an employee is injured and unable to work for more than seven days, he or she is eligible to be compensated at the rate of 66 2/3% of the employee’s average weekly wage, limited to 100% of the State’s average weekly wage as established each year by the South Carolina Employment Security Commission. If the period of total disability exceeds 14 days, the employee is eligible for compensation beginning with the date of the accident." In addition, a worker's family is entitled to compensation if the worker is killed on the job or dies as a result of an occupational disease.

How Do I Collect Workers' Compensation? After you suffer a workplace injury or are diagnosed with an occupational illness, you should notify your employer. If the injury isn't life threatening, you should report it to your employer before seeking medical treatment. At most, you must notify your employer within 90 days. Your employer should tell the workers' compensation insurer about your injury, but if your employer fails to, you can file a claim with the South Carolina Workers' Compensation Commission.

Reasons to Hire a South Carolina Workers' Comp Attorney

There are number of reasons to hire a South Carolina workers' compensation lawyer. You'll want to hire an attorney if:

  • Your workers' compensation claim is denied
  • You don't think you've received the compensation you deserve
  • Your employer doesn't have workers' compensation insurance or you weren't covered under the insurance policy
  • You must attend a conference or hearing before the South Carolina Workers' Compensation Commission.

Find & Hire a South Carolina Workers' Compensation Lawyer

If you've been injured on the job in South Carolina, you must notify your employer within 90 days and you must file a workers' compensation claim within two years. While this may seem like a long time, it can pass more quickly than you might image. Don't delay—you should hire a workers' comp lawyer as soon as possible.

If you need help locating South Carolina workers' compensation attorneys in your area, you've come to the right website. Whether you live in Columbia, Charleston, Greenville or elsewhere in the state, can connect you with South Carolina workers' comp lawyers in your area. Our service is fast and it's free, plus you're under no obligation to hire the attorney to whom we refer you.

Call us at 877-913-7222 or complete the form on this page to find a lawyer today.