Legal Articles
Get Started Finding a Local Attorney Now

Simply fill out this form to connect with an Attorney serving your area.

New Jersey Visas

Adopting a foreign child is not a simple process. Neither is bringing the child home to the United States. The U.S. does not allow children from certain countries to immigrate. And the rules for bringing home a child from allowed countries are strict. Any error can delay the process. A New Jersey visa lawyer proves a valuable asset when adopting a child from another country.

Immigrant Visas for Adopted Children

You need a U.S. immigrant visa for the child you adopt. The U.S. Embassy or Consulate where the child lives issues the document. You have two options for immigrant visas for bringing a foreign child to the U.S.:

  • IR-2 visa requires you to have legal custody of, and live abroad with, the child for at least two years. The child must be younger than 16.
  • IR-3 or IR-4 visas apply to foreign orphans abroad and those already in the U.S.

The process you need to follow to get an IR-3 or IR-4 visa depends on the child's home country. Some countries belong to The Hague Adoption Convention, but others do not. Each group has its own rules.

How a Visa Attorney Can Help

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services department handles adoptions of foreign children. You must submit certain forms and documents to the agency. The U.S. Embassy or Consulate then takes over. It conducts an interview. How long the process takes can vary by country and the circumstances of each case. A lawyer can help you with the paperwork. He or she can advise you on other immigration issues as well. The U.S. Department of State admits that the process is complicated. It recommends using a visa attorney.

Locate a Local New Jersey Visa Lawyer Today

Adopting a foreign child causes stress for adoptive parents. It also proves rewarding once the adoption is final. Get the help you need to finish the process as easily and quickly as possible. Call now to speak with a visa attorney in New Jersey at 877-913-7222.