Legal Articles
Get Started Finding a Local Attorney Now

Simply fill out this form to connect with an Attorney serving your area.

Michigan Visas

People from most foreign countries need a visa before they can come to the U.S. You can get a visa from the U.S. embassy or consulate in your country. Tourists and students who want to study here need a visa. So do business people and entertainers who want to work here. Spouses of Americans who married overseas will need a visa.

Foreign students coming to Michigan colleges need student visas. Contact a Michigan visa lawyer about the requirements to get one.

Federal Visa Guidelines

Visas are required for immigrants and visitors. If you are a nonimmigrant, you will need certain forms:

  • DS-160 Application
  • Current photograph
  • DS-158: Contact information and work history
  • Resume or work history and education
  • Travel plans

The forms you need to file depend on why you are coming to the U.S. Once you get the right forms, you will get a visa interview.

Waiting Times

Usually, your visa will come within 60 days of your interview. Some countries take a longer time to process a visa. Ask the U.S. consulate in your country how long it will take. It generally depends on your reason for coming to the U.S. If you have a criminal record or some other problem, the wait time can be much longer. 

Student Visa Requirements

To come to Michigan to study, you will need a certain visa. It depends on the program you are in.

An F visa is for temporary students who must return home when their course is done. These students also can work here and transfer to other schools. If you are enrolled at a vocational school, you need an M visa. You cannot work on or off your school’s campus. You may participate in practical training.

A J visa is for students and teachers. It is based on cultural exchange. You can be in an internship or training program for 18 months. Medical graduate students can get a waiver and stay longer if they agree to practice in certain parts of the U.S.

Locate a Local Michigan Visa Lawyer Today

An attorney can explain how to get a visa for your reason for coming to the U.S. Call now to speak with a visa attorney in Michigan at 877-913-7222.