Legal Articles
Get Started Finding a Local Attorney Now

Simply fill out this form to connect with an Attorney serving your area.

Maryland Visas

A visa allows you to travel from your home country to the United States. An immigration official then decides if you can actually come in. Your Form I-94 tells you how long you may stay. If the rules about visas and what they allow you to do seem confusing, a Maryland lawyer can help make sure you get it right.

What Kind of Visa Does a Student Need?

Student visas are based on the type of studying you will be doing. Most international students come to the U.S. to get a university degree. They will generally need an F-1 visa. Students in high school and private elementary schools may also use this visa.

You will need different visas for other programs.

  • J-1 Visa: Students in a non-degree program or student internship and some high school students will usually use this visa.
  • M-1 Visa: This is for students in a vocational program.

You must have been accepted into the appropriate school program before applying for a student visa.

In most cases, you must return home when your studies are over. The Maryland Department of Health grants some medical students on J-1 visas a waiver from this requirement. They must agree to spend three years working in areas without enough doctors.

How Can a Lawyer Help?

All the requirements for getting a visa can be hard to understand. So can the rules you need to follow while you are here. A lawyer can help you:

  • Figure out what type of visa you need
  • Make sure you submit the right paperwork
  • Make sure you know what your visa allows you to do

An attorney can also help you change visa categories or apply for permanent resident status, if you qualify.

Locate a Local Maryland Visa Lawyer Today

Do not let confusion over visa types and rules derail your plans for visiting, living, or studying in the United States. Call now to speak with a visa attorney in Maryland at 877-913-7222.