Legal Articles
Get Started Finding a Local Attorney Now

Simply fill out this form to connect with an Attorney serving your area.

Florida Visas

Before you can come to the United States, you need a visa. A visa is a travel document issued by the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in the country where you live. It attaches to your passport. Florida visa lawyers help people every day understand and navigate the visa process.

Types of Visas

There are many types of visas. The type you need  depends on why you want to come to the United States. There are visas for students, spouses, and entertainers. There are also visas for athletes, physicians, and farm workers, and for medical treatment and other purposes.

Guidelines for Getting a Visa

You can apply for a visa through the American Embassy or Consulate in your country of origin. You will need to supply:

  • Form DS-160, which is a nonimmigrant visa application
  • A passport
  • Photograph taken according to guidelines
  • Your travel plans
  • Where you have travelled in the past five years
  • Your resume or C.V.

You may need other forms and documents depending on your purpose for coming into the country.

Spouse vs. Student Visa

Many types of visas are for students who are enrolled in a U.S. school. The spouses of U.S. citizens who were married in another country also need a visa.

Student Visas

Students need either an M-1 or F-1 visa. An F-1 is for students who want to study academic subjects at a U.S. school. Your school must be approved under the Student and Visitor Exchange Program (SEVIP). 

An M-1 visa is to attend a SEVIP-approved, full-time course for vocational studies other than language classes. You can transfer to another approved school. You may also get a part-time job on your campus.

Spousal Visas

If you married a non-U.S. citizen in another country, your spouse needs a K-3 visa. It must be from the country where you were married. Once your spouse is here, you must file a Form I-130.

Consult a Florida Visa Attorney

Your attorney can advise you on how to get a visa for your trip. This includes what kind of visa is right for you.  Call now to speak with a Florida visa attorney at 877-913-7222.