Legal Articles
Get Started Finding a Local Attorney Now

Simply fill out this form to connect with an Attorney serving your area.

Connecticut Visas

If you want to come to Connecticut from another country to study or be with family, you will likely need a visa. A visa allows you to legally enter the United States. Many kinds of visas are available.

Types of Visas

There are two types of visas. An immigration visa lets you live in the United States. A temporary visa lets you visit the country for school, short business trips, temporary jobs, vacations, and other reasons.

Family Sponsorship Visas

Many people come to Connecticut to live with a family member who is already here. Visas are always available for spouses, unmarried children, adopted orphans, and parents of U.S. citizens who are 21 or older. A few visas are allowed each year for some other relatives of residents. Grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins and in-laws may not sponsor relatives for visas.

Do You Need a Student Visa?

There are various student visa types:

  • F1: For international students.
  • M1: For students in vocational schools.
  • J1 Exchange: For school-related, on-the-job training you cannot get in your home country.

Your school or university can tell you which type of student visa you need. The state department has more information about Exchange Visitor Visas.

To get a student visa, you must:

  • Keep a minimum course load
  • Prove you have the money for school
  • Know you may not be allowed to work while studying

Your school or a visa attorney can tell you the rules for each.

Locate a Local Connecticut Visa Lawyer Today

Be sure to get the right information about visas. A lawyer can help you apply for the visa you need. Work with a Connecticut visa lawyer to follow the rules and make sure you do not run into trouble. Call now to speak with a visa attorney in Connecticut at 877-913-7222.