Legal Articles
Get Started Finding a Local Attorney Now

Simply fill out this form to connect with an Attorney serving your area.

California Visas

People from all over flock to California. The Golden State draws visitors from all walks of life from around the globe. If you have questions about how to make sure your stay meets travel and immigration laws, a California visa attorney can help.

What Is a Visa?

A visa is a government document that allows non-residents to travel, work, study, or stay in the U.S. for a certain period. You will most likely need a visa before you enter the country. Get your visa at the U.S. embassy in your country of residence.

Types of Visas

More than 20 types of visas are issued in the U.S. Some of the most common in California are:

  • Business visa, or B-1, for people doing business in the U.S.
  • Agricultural work visa, or H-2A, for temporary farm workers.
  • Tourism visa, or B-2, for leisure travelers.
  • Student visa, or F-1, for students taking for-credit courses at recognized schools or colleges.
  • Non-academic student visa, or M-2, for vocational or other students.

The type of visa you need reflects what you will be doing in the country. It is important to get the right visa for your intended purpose.

When Do I Need a Visa?

In most cases, you'll need a visa if you will be in the U.S. for more than 90 days. Under the federal Visa Waiver Program, residents of 27 countries who have machine-readable passports are not required to obtain a visa for visits up to 90 days.

Locate a Local California Visa Lawyer Today

If you have questions about your visa, a California visa lawyer likely has the answers. He or she can fill you in on travel and immigration laws or help you if your visa is challenged. Call now to speak with a visa attorney in California at 877-913-7222.