Legal Articles
Get Started Finding a Local Attorney Now

Simply fill out this form to connect with an Attorney serving your area.

Divorce in Utah

Before filing for divorce in Utah, either you or your spouse must have lived in one county in the state for at least three months. Your divorce petition will then be filed with the Utah District Court in either the county in which you reside or the county in which your spouse resides. A divorce attorney can guide you through the entire divorce process, assisting you with not only the legal process of getting a divorce but also the negotiations that must occur between you and your spouse.

Utah Divorce Requirements

Before beginning divorce proceedings, you should familiarize yourself with the requirements and process for obtaining a divorce.

Under Utah divorce law, couples may get divorced for a variety of reasons, including:

  • Irreconcilable differences
  • Adultery
  • Desertion for at least a year
  • Habitual drunkenness
  • Felony conviction
  • Cruelty

As part of your divorce, you and your spouse will have to reach a resolution regarding a number of issues, including:

Utah courts usually require divorcing couples to attend at least one mandatory mediation in an effort to resolve these outstanding issues. However, you can request that the mediation be waived, particularly if you've already addressed the issues with the help of your divorce attorneys. If you have minor children, you will also be required to attend mandatory divorce education classes.

Utah law requires a 90 day waiting period between when the divorce petition is filed and when the divorce is finalized. However, a divorce can take much longer to complete if the parties have difficulty resolving major issues.

Find & Hire Local Utah Divorce Lawyers

As soon as you start considering divorce, it's wise to hire a local divorce lawyer. And whether you live in Salt Lake City, Provo or elsewhere in Utah, can connect you with family law lawyers in your area. To use our free service, call us at 877-913-7222 or complete the form on this page.