Legal Articles
Child Custody
Get Started Finding a Local Attorney Now

Simply fill out this form to connect with an Attorney serving your area.

Child Custody in Rhode Island

Rhode Island parents who are divorcing or splitting up will have to come to agreement on several key issues related to their minor children. Among the issues to resolve: How will child custody be handled? Which parent will pay child support and how much will be paid? And how will visitation be handled? Each parent should be represented by his or her own child custody lawyer, who can help the parents negotiate a custody agreement and represent the parents in court.

Things to Know When Hiring Child Custody Attorneys

Before hiring a child custody attorney, it's important to know:

  • If you are getting a divorce, then issues related to child custody and child support will be handled by the same judge who is hearing your divorce case.
  • There are two types of custody: Legal custody and physical custody. Legal custody relates to which parent has responsibility for major child-rearing decisions. Physical custody refers to where the child resides the majority of the time. Custody can be sole or shared. For example, if one parent lives out of state, both parents might share legal custody but the Rhode Island parent might have sole physical custody.
  • A parent who does not have physical custody will, under normal circumstances, be granted visitation. That parent will also typically pay child support to the custodial parent.
  • If a child is born to unwed parents and the father has not voluntarily acknowledged paternity, then paternity may have to be established before a child support order can be enforced.

Your child custody attorney can help establish an initial child custody agreement and child support order. You should also get a lawyer's help if you need assistance enforcing existing agreements or orders, or want to change a custody agreement or child support order.

Find & Hire a Local Rhode Island Child Custody Lawyer

Whether you live in Providence, Warwick or elsewhere in Rhode Island, can help you quickly locate child support lawyers in your area. Call 877-913-7222 or complete the form on this page to get connected with an attorney today.