How to Hire a Texas Workers' Comp Attorney
If you've been injured while at work, you should consider talking to a Texas workers' comp lawyer. But if you've never needed an attorney before, you may not know where to find one. This article will give you some practical tips, so that you can be on your way to getting the worker's comp benefits you deserve.
The first thing you should do is figure out what qualities you want in a Texas workers' comp attorney. When you've defined the qualities you are searching for, it will be easy to measure various attorneys against them. You probably want an attorney who:
- Has experience handling Texas workers' compensation claims
- Proposes a strategy for handling your claim you believe will produce good results
- Offers a realistic estimate of how much money you could receive in Texas workers' comp insurance benefits
- Charges a fair and reasonable legal fee
- Gives advice you can trust
- Is someone you can see yourself working side-by-side with for several months while your claim is being resolved
Finding a Texas Workers Comp Attorney
There are several ways to locate workers' compensation attorneys in Texas.
Ask your friends, relatives, and colleagues for suggestions. They may have previously hired a Texas workers' comp lawyer even if they did not share it with you at the time. First-hand feedback is always useful.
If you know a local attorney, he or she may be able to put you in touch with a Texas workers' compensation lawyer.
If you're unable to get personal suggestions or if you just want a few more candidates for the job, you're in the right place. Attorneys.com offers a service that can connect you with one or more Texas workers' compensation attorneys in your area.
When you're ready to begin the Attorneys.com process, call 1-877-913-7222 or fill out a short form on this web site. After answering a few questions, we'll put you in touch with a local Texas workers' comp attorney. You may contact the lawyer directly, or he or she will call you within two business days.
Preparing to Meet with a Texas Workers' Compensation Attorney
Now that you have the name of a Texas workers' comp lawyer in your area, you need to take the next step: interviewing the lawyer. Many Texas workers' compensation attorneys are willing to meet you for a brief introductory session called an initial consultation. You can accomplish several goals at an initial consultation, including:
- Learn about the attorney's background, experience, skills, and strategy
- Get important feedback as to the strength of your Texas workers' compensation claim
- Determine whether this is the best attorney to represent you
Focus your questions on topics that will most help you with your hiring decision. Think back to the qualities you defined earlier. Then be prepared to ask about:
- If the lawyer is familiar with Texas workers' comp claims similar to your own
- How much the attorney believes you can get in Texas workers' compensation benefits
- Possible strategies for dealing with the particulars in your claim
- The likelihood that you will be able to settle your claim or whether you will have to go to a Texas state workers' compensation administrative hearing
- How the attorney bills for his or her time
This is also a good time to make any special requests you have. For example, if you need weekend appointments or communication in a different language, bring this up at the initial consultation.
Just as this is your chance to get to know an attorney, it is also the attorney's opportunity to get to know you and what happened to cause your workplace injury. Be prepared to answer specific questions about the circumstances that led up to and have since followed your injury.
Meeting with Texas Workers' Comp Attorneys
Whether you are in Amarillo or Dallas or any other part of Texas, walk into your initial consultation prepared. Bring with you:
- Your list of written questions
- Some writing material with which to record the answers and any other notes
- Any documentation you have regarding your injury, including medical records and bills
You should answer the attorneys' questions openly and honestly. Texas workers' compensation lawyers are bound by strict confidentiality rules that prevent them from revealing anything they learn at an initial consultation. Even if you end up hiring someone else, any lawyer you meet at an initial consultation must keep your information confidential.
During the meeting, pay close attention to how the attorneys answer your questions. Ask yourself:
- Does this lawyer have the experience and background you need for your claim?
- How confident are you in this lawyer's abilities, strategy, advice, and judgment?
- Are the legal fees fair and reasonable?
- Do you feel comfortable with him or her?
Once you've finished meeting with all the Texas workers' compensation attorneys on your list, it's time to choose one to hire. If you only met with one but he or she meets your qualifications or if one stood out positively against the others, then your decision is an easy one. If you are undecided between several attorneys, call their previous clients to get some real-world references and feedback.
Once you've hired a lawyer, it's time to move ahead with your Texas workers' compensation claim.
Connect with an Attorney nowCall 877.913.7222