Questions to Ask When Hiring a Philadelphia Workers' Comp Lawyer
If you’ve been hurt at work, you probably have a lot of questions about Philadelphia workers’ comp. The process can be complicated, and the last thing you’ll want to do while you recover is work through legal issues.
A Philadelphia workers’ compensation attorney can answer your questions and pursue your benefits. Before you hire one, you need to ask questions of your own. This article explains what you should ask before you choose an attorney.
Meeting with a Philadelphia Workers’ Comp Lawyer
Qualified workers’ comp lawyers can be found across Philadelphia, from Willow Grove to Eddystone and beyond. The first step in hiring an attorney is to have an initial consultation. This is a meeting between you and an attorney where you tell about your case, learn about the attorney and ask questions about workers’ compensation in Philadelphia. If you’re considering more than one attorney, schedule a meeting with each.
To make the most of each consultation, prepare your questions beforehand. This article lists many helpful questions, and you may want to add some of your own. Focus your questions on topics that are important to you and will help you choose an attorney. Be sure to write down the answers, so you can review them later.
Questions to Ask a Philadelphia Workers’ Compensation Attorney
Make sure the attorney you hire has the skill to handle your workers' compensation claim effectively. Some good questions include:
- How long have you been practicing workers’ compensation in Philadelphia?
- Where did you get your legal training?
- Do you work only with workers’ compensation claims, or do you practice other types of law?
- What professional associations have you joined?
- What is your experience with the Pennsylvania Department of Labor and Industry, and the administrators, attorneys and judges we may see?
- What percentage of your clients receive benefits?
The day-to-day handling of your case is important to the success of your claim and your peace of mind. Good questions to ask include:
- Are you the attorney who will represent me, or will another handle my claim?
- Which members of your staff will be assisting with my claim?
- What does each of your legal team do?
- Can I meet each person who will be helping with my claim?
- Whom do I contact with questions?
- How often will you update me on my claim?
An attorney’s legal approach is essential to your case. To learn more, ask:
- What is your opinion of my claim?
- What are the possible outcomes?
- How will each outcome affect me?
- Where is my case strong, and where is it weak?
- What are the steps you will take to pursue my claim?
- What happens in each step?
Fees and Expenses
An attorney’s fees can affect the benefits you receive. Most Philadelphia workers’ comp attorneys charge on contingency. They receive a percentage of the benefits you win. The percentage is limited to 20% by law, but you should fully understand the fee structure and its impact on you before you hire. You should ask:
- How will you get paid for handling my claim?
- What is included in your fee?
- Will I be responsible for any costs or expenses?
- How will your fee affect my benefits?
Using the Answers
When you’re done, consider the answers of every Philadelphia workers’ compensation attorney you interviewed. Ask yourself:
- Which attorney had the most experience with workers’ compensation in Philadelphia?
- Which attorney’s strategy was the best for me?
- Which attorney made me feel the most comfortable?
- Which attorney most clearly explained my options and possible results?
- Which attorney’s fee structure was the most agreeable?
Your answers to these questions, along with your own personal feelings, will guide you to hire the right attorney. If you’re still undecided, you can ask each attorney for client references or ask follow-up questions.
When you’re confident in your decision, contact the attorney of your choice and proceed with your claim.