How to Hire an Ohio Workers' Compensation Attorney
If you've been involved in a workplace accident and are getting nowhere with your Ohio employer's workers' compensation insurance company, you are right to be thinking about hiring an attorney. This article will show you how to find the best Ohio workers' compensation attorney for you and your claim.
Before you start making any phone calls, take a moment to consider what qualities you want in your attorney. You probably want an attorney who:
- Has experience representing clients with Ohio workers' compensation claims
- Suggests a strategy you believe will get you the most workers' comp benefits possible
- Offers a realistic estimate of what your claim is worth
- Charges a reasonable legal fee
- Gives you confidence in his or her judgment and advice
- Is someone you can see working side by side with for many months
Finding an Ohio Workers' Compensation Attorney
There are several ways to find an Ohio workers' compensation attorney to handle your claim.
Talk to your friends, colleagues, and family members. They may have had to hire an Ohio workers' compensation attorney in the past even if they didn't tell you about it at the time. It's always good to get first-hand feedback when you can.
If you know a local lawyer, ask if he or she could connect you with a nearby workers' compensation attorney.
If you're shy about discussing your workplace accident with friends or if you just want to get another name to round out your list, you've come to the right place. Attorneys.com offers a service to connect you to Ohio workers' compensation lawyers in your area.
When you are ready to start the process, call 1-877-913-7222 or fill out the short form on this web site. We'll provide you with the name and contact information for at least one Ohio workers' compensation attorney near you. You are free to contact him or her directly, or the attorney will get back to you within two business days.
Preparing to Meet with an Ohio Workers' Compensation Attorney
Now that you have the name of an Ohio workers' compensation attorney, you are ready to move to the next step: the interview. Most workers' compensation attorneys in Ohio are willing to sit down for a brief introductory meeting, called an initial consultation. You can accomplish several important goals at an initial consultation. You can:
- Learn about the attorney's background and experience to see if it matches what you need
- Get some feedback about the strength of your claim and whether it will succeed under Ohio's workers' compensation laws
- Most importantly, determine whether this is the attorney for you
Many attorneys offer these initial consultations for free, but double check when you call to make the appointment.
Whether you are in Columbus or Cleveland or any other part of the state, the primary goal of an initial consultation is to figure out whether you want to hire the lawyer. With that in mind, make a list of questions to ask the lawyer. Some topics to discuss include the lawyer's:
- Experience in representing clients with Ohio workers' compensation claims
- Proposed strategy for handling your claim
- Opinion of your claim and whether it can be settled with your employer or if you will have to take it to an administrative hearing
- Legal fees and how much you could possibly owe whether your case settles, goes to an administrative hearing, or fails to get you any benefits
This is also a good time to share any specific requests you may have, such as weekend appointments or evening phone calls.
Meeting with Ohio Workers' Compensation Attorneys
You'll need to bring several items with you to the initial consultation. Make sure you have:
- Your prepared list of questions, so you don't forget one of them
- Writing material to record the answers to your questions
- Any documentation you may have regarding the accident, including medical records or bills
As you sit down with each attorney, you should speak openly about the circumstances of your accident and the resulting injuries. Workers' compensation lawyers in Ohio are bound by strict confidentiality rules that prevent them from revealing anything they hear at an initial consultation. Even if you hire a different attorney, any lawyers you meet must keep what you shared confidential.
During the interview, spend some time thinking about whether the lawyer meets your list of requirements. Ask yourself:
After you've interviewed the last attorney on your list, it's time to choose one to hire. If you only interviewed one but he or she meets all your criteria or if you met with several but one was a clear stand-out, then your decision is not difficult.
On the other hand, if you met several qualified attorneys, ask for references from their former clients. The real-world feedback should help you narrow the field to the very best Ohio workers' compensation attorney for you.
Once you've hired a lawyer, you are ready to move forward with your Ohio workers' compensation claim.