Factors to Consider When Hiring a Kansas City Workers' Compensation Lawyer
A Kansas City workers’ compensation lawyer can help you with every part of a benefits claim. If you’ve been hurt at work, you may already be considering hiring an attorney.
Before you do, make sure you have found a Kansas City injury lawyer that’s a good fit. Not all lawyers are the same, and there are several things you should consider before you hire one. This article discusses some of the important qualities to look for in a Kansas City accident attorney.
Finding & Meeting A Kansas City Workers’ Compensation Lawyer
If you’re just getting started, the first step is to locate one or more lawyers who practice Missouri workers’ compensation law. Often, your family and friends can recommend a Kansas City injury lawyer with whom they’ve worked before.
Attorneys.com can also help you find a lawyer in North Terrace Park, Strupwood and anywhere in the Kansas City, Missouri, area. Just fill out the online form or call 1-877-913-7222, and Attorneys.com will connect you with at least one Kansas City accident attorney near you. When you’ve found an attorney or attorneys that interest you, meet with each and discuss your case.
During your first meeting, or initial consultation, you’ll learn more about the attorney, and the information you get will help you decide which Kansas City injury lawyer you should hire.
Factors to Consider Before Hiring a Lawyer
Lawyers have different professional and personal qualities. When you’re selecting an attorney, keep the following important factors in mind and choose an attorney who is a good match for you and your benefits claim.
An experienced Kansas City accident attorney has the skill and knowledge to handle your claim correctly. When you consider an attorney’s experience, look at:
- How long the lawyer has practiced workers’ compensation law in Kansas City
- How many claims the lawyer has handled in the past
- How many benefits claims were successful
- How well the lawyer understands workers’ compensation and personal injury law
- How well the lawyer knows the Missouri Department of Labor and the administrators, judges and insurance companies that may be involved in your claim
Legal Strategy and Legal Options
There may be several different ways to approach your claim. Your attorney should have a strategy in mind and help you understand the different ways you could pursue your benefits. When you assess a Kansas City injury lawyer, consider:
- The suggested legal strategy
- The possible outcomes and how they affect you
- If the strategy is reasonable and likely to succeed
- If your options are clear and understandable
- If you agree with the approach
Your Kansas City workers’ compensation attorney will most likely use a fee arrangement called a contingency fee. This means that the lawyer takes a fee only if you win your claim. Missouri law limits the fee to 25 percent of the amount you win, although some attorneys may charge less.
Make sure you understand the how the lawyer will be paid. Consider:
- The attorney’s fee arrangement
- The contingency percentage
- The amount of the estimated fee
- The amount of additional costs and expenses
- The payment method
It’s important to have a good working relationship with your lawyer. In addition to professional qualities, consider:
- If the lawyer makes you feel comfortable
- If you trust the attorney’s judgment and advice
- If the attorney is patient and understanding
- If the attorney explains the issues clearly and patiently
Making a Decision
Consider all these factors before you choose an attorney. If you need more information, feel free to contact an attorney again, to ask follow-up questions or to get client references.
Make sure you’re fully informed and confident in your choice, then select an attorney and pursue your workers’ compensation benefits.