Get Started Finding a Local Attorney Now
Simply fill out this form to connect with an Attorney serving your area.
Mississippi Estate Planning
Estate planning can help accomplish many things, from explaining how you wish to have your assets distributed after your death to helping you minimize federal and Mississippi estate taxes, from giving you greater control over your medical care to delegating responsibility for your finances. An estate planning attorney can review your legal, financial, familial and medical situation and recommend an estate planning strategy that meets your needs.
Suggested estate planning tools might include:
- A last will and testament and/or a living trust to help distribute your estate (assets such as money, real estate and property) after your death
- Financial power of attorney, which allows you to authorize an attorney in fact to take certain legal and financial actions on your behalf
- Healthcare power of attorney, which is used to name a surrogate to make medical decisions if you're incapacitated, as well as a living will, which is used to explain your end-of-life medical wishes
When Should You Hire an Estate Planning Lawyer
Most adults in Mississippi lack even basic estate planning tools, such as a last will. But most adults need estate planning help. You should consider hiring an estate planning lawyer if:
- You are a legal adult (at least 18 in the state of Mississippi) or an emancipated minor
- You have assets, such as retirement accounts, a home that you own, a car or other personal property
- You have minor children (under the age of 18 in Mississippi)
- You don't want your estate to be divided according to Mississippi intestate laws after your death
- You have a last will, financial power of attorney, healthcare power of attorney or other estate planning document, but it was created in a state other than Mississippi
- You want to change or update your will
- You've been named executor of the estate of someone who has passed away and need help with the probate process
Find & Hire Local Mississippi Estate Planning Attorneys
Attorneys.com offers a free lawyer referral service that can help you locate estate planning lawyers and probate attorneys in Jackson, Biloxi or elsewhere in Mississippi. Complete the form on this page to get connected with a local lawyer, or phone us today at 877-913-7222.