Get Started Finding a Local Attorney Now
Simply fill out this form to connect with an Attorney serving your area.
To come to Illinois from another country to visit family or get a job, you will likely need a visa. A visa allows you to legally go from one country to another. Different types of visas are available.
Basic Visa Information
A temporary visa is for people who want to visit the United States for vacation, business, or study. A visa for work is often called a green card. People who apply for a permanent visa usually want to join family members or fiancés who are already here.
You cannot get a visa overnight. It takes time for a visa to be approved. In some cases, only a limited number of visas are available each year.
Problems With Visas
You may not be eligible to get a visa:
- If you have committed crimes
- If you have been involved with terrorism
- If you do not have enough money to live on
- If you lie about why you want to come to America
People sometimes worry about being sent home. You cannot be sent back to your home country if:
- You commit a minor crime, like breaking a traffic law
- You are not current with your income taxes
- You are the victim of a crime
If you are the victim of a crime, you may be able to get a U-Visa. This lets you give information about a crime without worrying about getting sent home.
Student Visas Are Common in Illinois
People who come here to study need a student visa. To get one, you must:
- Understand that you may not be allowed to work while in school.
- Take a minimum number of courses.
- Prove you can pay for school without getting a job.
The school you want to attend can tell you more. Avoid problems by talking to a visa attorney. A visa lawyer also can help if the government wants to deport you.
Locate a Local Illinois Visa Lawyer Today
Be sure you follow the rules. Call now to speak with a visa attorney in Illinois at 877-913-7222.