If you want foreign family members to legally live with you in the U.S., you can apply for a family-based immigrant visa for them. You can apply for adults and also sponsor children. Learn who qualifies for this type of visa. A Colorado visa lawyer can help speed up the process.
There are two types of family-based visas: immediate relative and family preference. The U.S. does not limit the number of immediate relative visas. They are available to:
- Spouses of U.S. citizens
- Unmarried children of U.S. citizens younger than 21
- Orphans adopted abroad by U.S. citizens
- Orphans to be adopted in the U.S. by U.S. citizens
- Parents of U.S. citizens who are 21 or older
The number of family preference visas are limited. The U.S. only gives out a certain number each year. They are available to:
- Unmarried sons and daughters of U.S. citizens and their minor children
- Spouses, minor children, and unmarried sons and daughters age 21 and older of lawful permanent residents
- Married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens and their spouses and minor children
- Brothers and sisters of U.S. citizens and their spouses and minor children, if U.S. citizen is 21 or older
You begin the process by filing a visa application. The form is on the U.S. Department of State website. Certain types of visas take longer to get. It may take longer for a distant relative than for a spouse or child. The process can be confusing. Follow all instructions or risk delay.
How Can a Colorado Visa Attorney Help?
Filing the form is just a small part of the process. You must gather documents and have interviews. Health exams and vaccines may be required. Mistakes can cause delays. A wrong step can cause failure. Relatives will have to start over with another sponsor.
It helps to have a lawyer by your side. Complex immigration law changes often. A visa attorney helps you follow current procedures. He or she will check your paperwork. You may need help with hearings.
Locate a Local Colorado Visa Lawyer Today
If you want to share the American dream with foreign family members, a visa lawyer can help. The process can take years. Call now to speak with a visa attorney in Colorado at 877-913-7222.