Get Started Finding a Local Attorney Now
Simply fill out this form to connect with an Attorney serving your area.
If you want foreign family members to legally live with you in the U.S., you can apply for a family-based immigrant visa for them. You can apply for adults and also sponsor children. Learn who qualifies for this type of visa. A Colorado visa lawyer can help speed up the process.
There are two types of family-based visas: immediate relative and family preference. The U.S. does not limit the number of immediate relative visas. They are available to:
- Spouses of U.S. citizens
- Unmarried children of U.S. citizens younger than 21
- Orphans adopted abroad by U.S. citizens
- Orphans to be adopted in the U.S. by U.S. citizens
- Parents of U.S. citizens who are 21 or older
The number of family preference visas are limited. The U.S. only gives out a certain number each year. They are available to:
- Unmarried sons and daughters of U.S. citizens and their minor children
- Spouses, minor children, and unmarried sons and daughters age 21 and older of lawful permanent residents
- Married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens and their spouses and minor children
- Brothers and sisters of U.S. citizens and their spouses and minor children, if U.S. citizen is 21 or older
You begin the process by filing a visa application. The form is on the U.S. Department of State website. Certain types of visas take longer to get. It may take longer for a distant relative than for a spouse or child. The process can be confusing. Follow all instructions or risk delay.
How Can a Colorado Visa Attorney Help?
Filing the form is just a small part of the process. You must gather documents and have interviews. Health exams and vaccines may be required. Mistakes can cause delays. A wrong step can cause failure. Relatives will have to start over with another sponsor.
It helps to have a lawyer by your side. Complex immigration law changes often. A visa attorney helps you follow current procedures. He or she will check your paperwork. You may need help with hearings.
Locate a Local Colorado Visa Lawyer Today
If you want to share the American dream with foreign family members, a visa lawyer can help. The process can take years. Call now to speak with a visa attorney in Colorado at 877-913-7222.