Traffic Tickets & Violations
Get Started Finding a Local Attorney Now
Simply fill out this form to connect with an Attorney serving your area.
Idaho Traffic Violations
One speeding violation in Idaho can lead to three points on your driving record. You can lose your license at 12 points. An Idaho traffic violations lawyer can help defend your rights.
What Is the Penalty for Moving Violations?
Idaho has a point system for speeding and other moving violations. The number of points depend on the seriousness of the violation. Some common violations include:
- Speeding: three points for 1 to 15 mph over the limit; four points for 16 mph or more over the limit
- Inattentive driving: three points
- Violating the minimum speed rule: three points
- Following too closely: three points
- Failing to stop at a stop sign: three points
- Passing a school bus: four points
You can lose your license for 30 days for reaching 12 points within 12 months. If you reach 18 to 23 points within 24 months you can lose your license for 90 days. At 24 or more points, you can lose it for up to six months. Traffic violations remain on your driving record for three years. Once every three years you can have three points removed from your record by going to driving school.
Can You Go to Jail for Moving Violations?
Speeding is usually considered an infraction, not a criminal offense in Idaho. You may be fined but not face time in jail. But some moving violations are misdemeanors and can lead to imprisonment if convicted, including:
- Racing on the highway: not more than six months in jail and $300 fine
- Reckless driving first offense: five to 90 days in jail and $25 to $300 fine
- Reckless driving multiple offenses: 10 days to six months in jail and $50 to $300 fine
- Inattentive driving: not more than six months in jail and $300 fine
Your license may also be suspended for serious offenses.
Locate an Idaho Traffic Violations Lawyer Today
An attorney can help defend you in court. He or she will look at the case against you, fight for reduced penalties and help you keep your privilege to drive to work. Call now to speak with a traffic violations attorney in Idaho at 877-913-7222.