Get Started Finding a Local Attorney Now
Simply fill out this form to connect with an Attorney serving your area.
IRS Tax Debt Relief in Texas
Do you owe money to the Internal Revenue Service or the state of Texas? Are unpaid taxes causing you sleepless nights? If you owe money to the government, a Texas tax attorney may be able to help you get tax debt relief.
Owing taxes to the government can be stressful. Perhaps you received an IRS tax bill as a result of honest mistakes uncovered in a tax audit. Maybe you haven't filed your federal income tax return because you knew you couldn't afford to pay. Or possibly your tax returns are up to date but you're behind on your tax payments.
Regardless of the reason, you shouldn't ignore your tax debt. For every day that passes, the government will charge penalties and add interest, causing the balance to grow. A Texas tax lawyer can help you review your legal options and work with you to pay off your tax debt.
Reasons to Hire a Texas Tax Relief Attorney
When you hire a Texas tax debt attorney, you're hiring someone who has experience helping clients who owe federal and Texas taxes. Your tax lawyer will have the expertise to:
- Review your outstanding tax bill to determine if the charges are accurate
- Evaluate your finances to determine how much you can afford to pay in a lump sum or in monthly installments
- Explain your legal tax resolution options and help you decide which solution works best for you
- Communicate with the IRS and Texas Comptroller's Office on your behalf
By hiring a Texas tax debt attorney, you're benefiting from that lawyer's tax law knowledge and tax debt settlement experience. Your tax relief lawyer will have worked with hundreds or thousands of clients just like you: People who are looking for a tax debt solution, but don't know where to start.
Things to Consider When Interviewing Texas Tax Attorneys
Before hiring a Texas tax lawyer, you'll want to arrange for an initial consultation with the lawyer. This short meeting—which is usually free of charge—lets you get to know the attorney and decide if he or she is the right person to resolve your tax debt problem.
The attorney may ask you to bring to the meeting certain pieces of information, such as past tax returns and correspondence from the government related to your outstanding tax bill. Know that all attorneys, including Texas tax lawyers, are bound by certain confidentiality rules. Even if you decide to hire a different IRS tax relief attorney, the information you share during the meeting will remain confidential.
During the meeting, you'll have a chance to explain your tax debt problem. You'll also have the chance to ask the lawyer questions about his or her legal background and experience representing clients with tax debt. Use the meeting to decide whether you feel comfortable with the lawyer and would like to hire him or her to represent you.
Texas Tax Debt Relief Solutions
Once you've hired a Texas tax attorney, you're ready to start solving your tax debt problem. There are a number of possible tax debt solutions, and you'll want to work with your lawyer to determine which is right for you.
Among the solutions:
- If it would cause serious financial hardship to pay your back taxes, you may be able to reach an offer in compromise with the government. This allows you to settle your tax debt for less than the total amount you owe.
- If you had a good reason for failing to pay your taxes, your tax debt lawyer may be able to negotiate a penalty abatement, which would eliminate some or all of the interest and penalties that have been added to your tax bill.
- If your tax bill is the result of some type of wrongdoing on behalf of your spouse and you are not to blame, you may be eligible for something known as innocent spouse relief. This would transfer the entire bill to your spouse or ex-spouse.
- If you can afford to make regular payments toward reducing your tax balance, you may be eligible for an installment payment plan.
Your tax lawyer can explain these and other legal options in greater detail.
Locate & Hire a Texas Tax Attorney Today
It doesn’t pay to procrastinate. If you owe money to the IRS or the Texas Comptroller's Office, you should hire a local Texas tax relief attorney today and take steps to clear your tax debt. To get started, use the form on this page or call us at 877-913-7222. Attorneys.com can connect you with a local Texas tax debt relief attorney today.