Legal Professional?
Build Your Business

Tax Law Questions

Online Tax Preparation Software

The availability of online software that to help calculate your federal and state income tax may make calculating and filing your taxes extremely convenient. You may be able to simply enter the amounts from your W-4 form and file your tax returns electronically in 15 or 20 minutes. However, you may need the help of a tax preparer, accountant or tax attorney if -

  • You are married.
  • You are divorced with dependant children.
  • You are caring for an aged parent.
  • You own a business.
  • You receive income from investments.
  • You worked outside of the United States for part or all of a tax year.

Filing An Extension

You may believe that filing and extension means that you will have a few extra months to pay your income tax. The opposite is true. Filing an extension gives you a few extra months to file your return. You are expected to pay your estimated tax by April 15, or apply to pay it in installments. The Internal Revenue Service has abundant information about income taxes and other federal taxes.

The Earned Income Tax Credit

The Earned Income Tax Credit can mean the difference between receiving a tax refund or paying taxes in April, but you may need to negotiate with your spouse or former spouse about which one of you is eligible to take the tax credit. This is just one issue that may arise after a divorce. Division of assets can result in an unexpected tax burden for one partner if not handled correctly. Income taxes are simply one area in which you may need the help of a professional. If you own property or conduct business, you may need help with -

  • Property Taxes
  • Payroll Taxes
  • Customs and Tariffs
  • Sales Taxes
  • Estate Taxes

Tax lawyers are familiar with these issues. They can answer complex tax questions and can help you feel confident that you have made an informed decision.