Get Started Finding a Local Attorney Now
Simply fill out this form to connect with an Attorney serving your area.
IRS Tax Debt Relief in North Carolina
Do you owe money to the Internal Revenue Service or the North Carolina Department of Revenue? Is your tax debt causing sleepless nights? There are solutions to your tax debt problem, and a North Carolina tax attorney can help you.
If you owe money to the federal or North Carolina government, you can expect:
- To have tax penalties, in the form of fines and interest charges, added to your tax bill.
- To have the government place a tax lien on valuable assets you own, such as your car, motorcycle, boat or home. The lien prevents you from selling the asset, or refinancing its loan, until you've paid your tax debt.
- To have the government impose a tax levy, which allows it to seize your property and sell it to satisfy your tax debt. The government can seize your paycheck, bank accounts, real estate and motor vehicles.
- To have your unpaid taxes reported to credit bureaus, making it more expensive or difficult to get a credit card, apply for a mortgage or refinance a loan.
How a North Carolina Tax Lawyer Can Help You
When you hire a North Carolina tax lawyer, you're hiring an expert who can guide you through your federal and North Carolina tax relief solutions.
Your lawyer will have represented hundreds or even thousands of clients—just like you—who are dealing with tax debt problems. And before that, your North Carolina tax debt lawyer will have spent years studying the tax laws. That combined experience works to your benefit because your attorney will be able to analyze your situation and suggest the best-possible tax debt solution.
There are a number of options available for people facing tax debt problems, and what's right for your friend or neighbor may not be right for you. Your attorney can walk you through the details of each program and explain its pros and cons.
Among the possible solutions:
- An installment payment plan allows you to gradually pay off your tax debt in small monthly payments. This option is popular among people who don't dispute the accuracy of their tax bill, but simply cannot afford to pay what they owe in a lump-sum payment.
- If you're facing a serious financial hardship, you may qualify for one of several programs designed to ease the burden of your tax bill. For example, penalty abatement erases the fines and interest charges that are added to your tax bill. These penalties add up quickly, and you may significantly reduce your tax bill if they are erased. Or you may qualify for an offer in compromise, which allows you to settle your tax bill for less than the full amount you owe.
- If your tax bill is the result of a spouse or ex-spouse who lied or misled you about the nature of your tax obligations, you may be eligible for innocent spouse relief, which removes from you the responsibility for paying part or all of the tax bill. (Your spouse or ex-spouse would still have to pay the money.)
These are just some of the tax relief options available to people who owe money to the IRS or the North Carolina Department of Revenue. Your North Carolina tax relief attorney can explain all of your options in more detail.
Find & Hire a North Carolina Tax Debt Attorney
Ready to hire a North Carolina tax attorney and begin working toward financial freedom? Congratulations…you're making a wise decision. Your next step is to find and hire a North Carolina tax lawyer in your area—and Attorneys.com can help you. We offer a free and confidential service that can connect you with a local attorney who's experienced with tax debt problems. To get started, call us at 877-913-7222 or complete the form on this page. After answering a few easy questions, we'll put you in touch with an attorney in your area.