Get Started Finding a Local Attorney Now
Simply fill out this form to connect with an Attorney serving your area.
IRS Tax Debt Relief in Florida
Unpaid taxes can be a big headache. If you owe income tax to the Internal Revenue Service or other unpaid taxes to the state of Florida, a tax attorney can help you negotiate a settlement or come up with a payment plan.
There are serious legal consequences if you have unpaid tax debt. The federal government can:
- Put a tax lien on your assets, such as your home, car, bank account and other property of value. A tax lien prevents you from selling the property until the outstanding debt is paid.
- Seize those same assets using a tax levy, then sell the property and use the money to pay your tax bill.
- Add tax penalties, in the form of fines and interest charges, to your outstanding balance.
There is a 10-year statute of limitations on tax debt, which means that the IRS legally cannot collect unpaid taxes after 10 years have passed. But the IRS will make every effort to collect the money before too much time has passed. That's why it makes sense to hire a Florida tax lawyer to help you find a workable solution to your federal or Florida tax debt problem.
How Can a Florida Tax Relief Attorney Help You
You can work directly with the IRS and the Florida Department of Revenue in an effort to resolve your tax issues. But do you want to? When you hire a Florida tax debt attorney, your lawyer can:
- Analyze your past returns and the results of any tax audits to ensure the accuracy of your unpaid tax bill
- Review your finances to determine how much you can afford to pay to the IRS in a single lump-sum payment or on a monthly basis
- Explain your legal options for paying your tax debt and help you decide which tax debt solution is best for you
- Contact the IRS and the Florida Department of Revenue on your behalf
- Apply on your behalf for a penalty abatement, offer in compromise and/or installment payment plan, depending on which solution best fits your financial situation
Things to Consider When Hiring a Florida Tax Debt Lawyer
When hiring a Florida tax debt attorney, there are a few factors to consider:
- Experience: Has the attorney previously worked with clients facing tax debt problems similar to yours? How long has the Florida tax attorney practiced law? Does the lawyer only do tax work or does the attorney handle other types of legal issues, too?
- Price: Does the lawyer charge a flat fee or hourly rate? What's the total anticipated cost, including legal fees and expenses? Can you afford to pay the Florida tax lawyer's fee?
- Comfort Level: Does the lawyer seem to listen carefully as you describe your tax problem? Does the attorney answer your questions clearly and thoroughly? Do you feel comfortable with the potential solutions that the attorney has outlined? Do you trust the lawyer to handle your tax debt issue?
Before hiring a Florida tax relief lawyer, make an appointment for an initial consultation. During this meeting—which is usually free—you'll have the chance to explain your situation and ask questions of the lawyer. Listen carefully to what the attorney says, make sure your questions and concerns are addressed and try to decide whether you'd feel confident hiring the lawyer to solve your unpaid tax problems.
Find & Hire a Florida Tax Attorney Today
Are you ready to take the first step to solving your federal and Florida tax debt problem? Congratulations! Let Attorneys.com help you find a local Florida tax lawyer today. To get started, simply complete the form on this page or call us at 877-913-7222. After answering a few easy questions, we'll connect you with a tax relief attorney in your area. Don't delay—get started today!