Social Security Disability
Get Started Finding a Local Attorney Now
Simply fill out this form to connect with an Attorney serving your area.
Virginia Social Security Disability Insurance
When illness or injury strikes, it can be devastating—especially if you are unable to work. Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) can offer a lifeline. If you have worked long enough to have paid a certain amount of Social Security tax, you may qualify. You also must have a disability that keeps you from working and that is expected to last at least a year or result in death. Virginia SSDI lawyers help people like you every day get these benefits.
Who Decides if You Get Benefits?
SSDI is a federal program. But state agencies decide who gets benefits. In Virginia, that agency is Disability Determination Services (DDS). DDS approaches your application with questions such as:
- Are you working? If so, your monthly income must not exceed a certain amount.
- Is your condition "severe"? It must interfere with basic work activities.
- Is your condition in the list of disabling impairments? If not, DDS must determine if it is of equal severity.
- Can you do the work you did previously?
- Can you do any other type of work?
A Virginia disability lawyer can ensure that you get a fair review.
Locate a Local Virginia SSDI Attorney
If a disability is keeping you out of the workforce, you already have enough stress. You do not have to brave the process of applying and possibly being turned down for benefits alone. Call now to speak with a Virginia SSD lawyer at 877-913-7222.