Social Security Disability
Get Started Finding a Local Attorney Now
Simply fill out this form to connect with an Attorney serving your area.
Texas Social Security Disability Insurance
Are you out of work due to a disability? You may qualify for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI). It is not always easy, however, to secure these benefits. A Texas SSDI attorney can help.
What Is SSDI in Texas?
When you pay Social Security tax, you fund a number of programs that provide a “safety net” for workers. SSDI is one of them. It provides financial aid to those who are unable to continue working due to severe physical or mental impairments. To qualify, you have to have worked long enough to pay a certain amount of this tax. You also must have a disability that:
- Prevents you from doing any type of work
- Is expected to last at least a year or result in death
A Texas SSD lawyer can help assess whether you might be a candidate.
Who Decides if You Get Benefits?
SSDI is a federal program. But approvals are made on the state level. You apply through the Social Security Administration (SSA)—either online, by phone, or in person. SSA forwards your application to a state agency to decide if you qualify. In Texas, that agency is Disability Determination Services (DDS). DDS approaches your application with questions such as:
- Are you working? If so, your monthly income must not exceed a certain amount.
- Is your condition "severe"? It must interfere with basic work activities.
- Is your condition in the list of disabling impairments? If not, DDS must determine if it is of equal severity.
- Can you do the work you did previously?
- Can you do any other type of work?
A Texas SSDI lawyer can help ensure your case gets a fair review. In the event that you are turned down, you may be able to file an appeal. Your attorney can help with that, too.
Locate a Local Texas Social Security Disability Lawyer
If you are being held back by illness or injury, you should not have to deal with financial worries on top of it all. Get help from a legal pro who knows how SSDI approval works in your state. Call now to speak with a Texas SSD attorney at 877-913-7222.