Legal Professional?
Build Your Business

Can I Appeal A Denial For Social Security Disability Benefits

Social security disability benefits help thousands of elderly people pay for the costs of medication, medical equipment and living expenses. An elderly person may depend solely on social security disability benefits as his or her only source of income. Having benefits taken away can deprive a person of the income that he or she needs for food and important medical supplies. If you have been denied social security benefits, then you are allowed to appeal the decision. The U.S. Social Security Administration requires that you file an appeal within 60 days of receiving a decision. A social security disability benefits lawyer can help you receive the benefits that you need to survive.

Filing An Appeal

If you have received a denial of your benefits from the Social Security Administration, then you will need to get in touch with a lawyer. Social security disability attorneys can help you draft a letter and submit it to the Administration. A lawyer can help you request a hearing date so that you can appeal the decision. There are four different levels in the appeals process. The four different courts that can consider your appeal are the following:

  • Federal Courts
  • An Administrative Judge
  • Reconsideration Judge
  • Appeals Council

Navigating The Court System

Each process has different requirements. If you qualify for reconsideration, then you will have the opportunity to submit additional materials that support your need for benefits. A lawyer can help you understand which documents are required to support your application.

If your disability has improved, then you will have to explain why you still have a need for social security benefits. At a hearing, you can physically attend a proceeding and explain your circumstances to the judge. The judge will listen to all of the reasons for why you should qualify for benefits. If you disagree with the decision that is reached, then you can take your case to the Appeals Council.