Legal Professional?
Build Your Business

What Should I Do If My Loved One Died In An Accident

Every worker is entitled to work within a safe environment. The U.S. Department of Labor requires that workers be warned about any dangerous instrumentalities that may be in a workplace. If workers are not warned ahead of time about these instrumentalities, then an employer may be liable for any damages if the worker becomes injured or dies. The family members of a worker may pursue a lawsuit against the employer and obtain compensation for the death of their loved one. A wrongful death lawyer helps you understand your rights and the types of compensation that you are entitled to receive after an accident has occurred.

Steps To Take When Your Loved One Dies In An Accident

As soon as you receive a phone call that your loved one has died in an accident, there are steps that you can take. By being proactive in the process, you stand a better chance of receiving compensation in a wrongful death case. Right after you receive the news:

  • Ask the employer for the facts of what happened. Attempt to understand exactly what happened at the time of the accident.
  • If possible, try to file an accident report with the human resources department of your loved one's company.
  • If an employer tries to prevent you from filing this type of report, then you should immediately get in touch with a wrongful death lawyer. A wrongful death attorney will explain how important it is for you to ensure that there is documentation that the worker suffered these injuries or died within the workplace.

Here are some other steps that you should take after your loved one dies in an accident:

  • Contact your loved one's coworkers to understand what happened.
  • Try to obtain photographs or video of the accident.
  • Speak with the supervisor.

Calling a wrongful death lawyer will help you understand what other steps are required for your case. A wrongful death lawyer will make sure that you gather all of the right documents to proceed in your wrongful death case.