When Should You Hire Personal Injury Lawyers?
When you are injured as a result of someone elses negligence, knowing when to hire personal injury lawyers can make the difference between getting the compensation youre due and getting the run-around from an insurance company.
Personal injury legal issues generally fall into several main categories: auto accidents, slip and falls, medical malpractice, nursing home failure of care, and wrongful death. While these are the major categories, there may be other issues that would entitle you to some personal injury damages.
In almost every circumstance, the party who caused your injuries is represented by an insurance company. You should remember that the insurance companys main goal to pay you as little as possible and get you to sign a waiver saying you wont sue them.
So, the first thing to remember is: Dont talk to the other partys insurance company until you have been evaluated for your injuries by a doctor and hired your own personal injury lawyer. You must be sure you know the extent and nature of your injuries. Sometimes, injuries are not immediately apparent, and if you tell the insurance adjuster that youre fine, that statement could be used later to deny you further compensation if it turns out you are more seriously hurt than you thought.
when to Hire Personal Injury Lawyers
Here are some circumstances in which you should consider hiring personal injury lawyers to protect your rights:
- If you have injuries that may require surgery or long-term treatment, such as physical therapy
- If your injuries may result in some permanent impairment
- If your injuries have caused you to miss more than a few days of work
- If you have any type of head or brain injury
- If, as a result of your injury, you are unable to walk, dress yourself, feed yourself, or handle other personal activities
- If you have a prior injury or medical condition that may have been aggravated by this new injury
- If you are contacted by the other partys lawyer to discuss a settlement, you should probably have your own attorney to negotiate for you
A personal injury law firm will evaluate your case and act on your behalf with the insurance company. Personal injury liability is a complicated area of law, and personal injury lawyers are trained to make sure insurance companies and others pay you the compensation you are entitled to.