Truck and Trucking Accidents
Get Started Finding a Local Attorney Now
Simply fill out this form to connect with an Attorney serving your area.
Illinois Truck and Trucking Accidents
If you were injured in an Illinois truck accident that was someone else's fault, you may be entitled to compensation to pay for:
- Past, present, and future medical bills for treatment related to your truck-accident injuries
- The repair or replacement of your motor vehicle and any property that was damaged or destroyed in the accident
- Lost wages for time off from work (including time spent going to doctor's appointments and physical therapy)
- The cost of hiring someone to do household chores that you're unable to do because of your injury
- Permanent disability and disfigurement from the crash
- Emotional distress from the truck accident
- Any other costs you've incurred because of the accident
If anyone was killed in the car crash or if either driver was intoxicated, the state of Illinois will prosecute the driver at fault and/or the intoxicated driver. In the case of other truck accidents, you may ultimately have to file a truck accident personal injury lawsuit in Illinois courts against the party at fault to recover money to pay for your injury-related expenses.
How Is Fault Determined?
To collect money stemming from an car crash injury claim, Illinois law requires you to prove that the other driver was negligent. You must show:
- The driver who caused your injuries had a responsibility not to injure you and failed to live up to that duty
- There is a connection between the other driver's responsibility and your injury
- You suffered damages, or a financial loss, as a result of the accident
Illinois law will reduce the total amount you can recover if it's found that your carelessness contributed to your truck accident injuries.
How Long Do You Have to File a Claim?
Illinois law gives you two years from the date of your truck accident to file a claim against the driver responsible for the crash. (This is known as the statute of limitations.) If you and your Illinois truck accident lawyer are unable to negotiate a settlement with the other driver (or the driver's insurance company), you should consider filing a lawsuit before the statute of limitations runs out.
Additional Illinois Truck Accident Resources
Illinois Secretary of State's commercial & farm truck forms & publications