Slip and Fall Injury
Get Started Finding a Local Attorney Now
Simply fill out this form to connect with an Attorney serving your area.
Virginia Slip and Fall Injury
Each year, countless Americans are seriously hurt in slip and fall accidents. If you've been injured or a family member has died in a slip and fall on someone else's property, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries under Virginia law. Talk to a slip and fall attorney or personal injury lawyer to understand your legal rights and options.
Recovery Under Premises Liability Law
Virginia premises liability law requires property owners and tenants to take certain steps to help keep visitors from being injured in slip and falls and other types of accidents. They must:
- Maintain their property and address known hazards that have the potential to cause injury
- Warn visitors about potential hazards
If you're injured in a slip and fall accident on someone else's property, you may file a personal injury lawsuit against the real estate owner or tenant in an effort to get compensation for your injuries.
At trial, your slip and fall lawyer will have to prove that the defendant (either the property owner or tenant) knew or should have known about the hazard that led to your injuries. You will also have to show you exercised reasonable care when walking on the dangerous surface.
Under Virginia law, if you bear any responsibility for your accident, you cannot recover any money from the other party. (This is known as contributory negligence.)
Compensation in Personal Injury Cases
If your personal injury lawsuit is successful, you may be entitled to compensation for:
- All of your medical bills for treatment related to your slip-and-fall injuries
- Any future earning ability lost due to your injury
- The cost of hiring someone to do household chores that you're unable to do because of your injury
- The repair or replacement of any property (such as eyeglasses) that was damaged or destroyed when you fell
- Lost wages for time off from work (including time spent going to doctor's appointments and physical therapy)
- Permanent disability and disfigurement stemming from the Virginia slip and fall accident
- Emotional distress stemming from the accident
- Any other costs you've incurred because of the accident
Find & Hire Local Virginia Slip & Fall Lawyers
Virginia law gives you two years from the date of your accident to file a personal injury lawsuit against the property owner or tenant. But time can pass quickly, so you should hire a slip and fall lawyer or personal injury attorney as soon as possible after your accident.
Need help locating personal injury lawyers in your area? Whether you live in Arlington, Richmond, Norfolk or anywhere else in Virginia, Attorneys.com can help. To use our free legal referral service, call us at 877-913-7222 or complete the form on this page.