Legal Articles
Slip and Fall Injury
Get Started Finding a Local Attorney Now

Simply fill out this form to connect with an Attorney serving your area.

Slip and Fall Injuries in Vermont

Slip and fall accidents can cause serious injuries, including broken bones, traumatic brain injuries, sprains and spinal cord injuries. Vermont property owners and tenants have a responsibility for maintaining a safe property and address hazards (such as broken stairs, an icy sidewalk or liquids spilled on a slippery floor) that could reasonably be expected to cause accidents. If the property owner fails to take such action and you're injured in a slip and fall accident, you may be able to recover money through a personal injury lawsuit. A slip and fall lawyer can evaluate your situation and file a claim on your behalf.

Vermont Personal Injury Law Basics

Slip and fall accident claims are usually governed by Vermont personal injury and negligence law. In a nutshell, the law says:

  • Property owners have a "duty of care," or obligation to avoid situations that could reasonably be expected to harm others
  • Property owners should address hazards promptly to ensure that others aren't hurt or killed during a slip and fall accident on their property
  • If you are injured by a hazard on someone else's property and that injury costs you money, then the property owner shares some responsibility for your accident-related expenses

Under Vermont law, you have three years from the date of your injury to file a personal injury lawsuit against the property owner or tenant.

If the judge or jury finds that the property owner or tenant violated their duty of care, which led to your accident, then you will be able to recover compensation to pay for your accident-related expenses. This money (known as damages) can be used to compensate you for injury-related medical expenses, lost wages, the repair or replacement of property that was damaged or destroyed during your accident, and pain and suffering.

Find & Hire a Local Vermont Slip & Fall Attorney

Call at 877-913-7222 or complete the form on this page to use our free lawyer referral service. Whether you live in Burlington, Rutland or elsewhere in Vermont, we can quickly connect you with slip and fall lawyers in your area.