Get Started Finding a Local Attorney Now
Simply fill out this form to connect with an Attorney serving your area.
How to Hire an Ohio Injury Attorney
An Ohio injury attorney can help protect your legal interests if you have been injured in an accident that was someone else's fault. Specifically, a lawyer can help you by:
- Preparing an accurate estimate of the cost of your accident, including medical bills, repairing or replacing damaged property, reimbursing you for lost wages, and compensating you for pain and suffering
- Collecting evidence to prove that someone else was at fault in your accident
- Attempting to negotiate a financial settlement with the party at fault in your accident, or his or her insurance company or attorney
- Representing you in court, if you're unable to reach an out-of-court settlement
Finding an Ohio Injury Attorney
After you make the decision to hire an Ohio injury attorney, your first step will be to find lawyers who can handle your case. There are several ways to go about doing this.
If you know someone who's previously hired an Ohio personal injury lawyer, ask that person if he or she would recommend his or her attorney. A personal recommendation can be invaluable when it comes from someone who's actually worked with the lawyer.
Similarly, if you know an attorney in your area who practices a different type of law, ask that attorney if he or she has experience working with any local Ohio injury attorneys. If so, that attorney may be able to put you in touch with an Ohio injury lawyer in your area.
If you're unable to get any personal recommendations or if you're simply looking for the names of additional lawyers, you've come to the right website. Attorneys.com offers a service to connect you with local personal injury attorneys.
To begin, simply fill out the form on this site or call us at 1-877-913-7222. We'll ask you a few questions, and then we'll put you in touch with at least one Ohio injury attorney in your area. The lawyer will call you within two business days, or you can contact the lawyer at your convenience.
Preparing to Meet an Ohio Injury Attorney
Most personal injury lawyers will offer potential clients a free initial consultation. You should use this meeting to:
- Interview the attorney about his or her skills and experience representing Ohio injury victims
- Tell the attorney about the details of your accident
- Decide whether the attorney is qualified to represent you
Take some time to prepare for each initial consultation, making notes about the questions you'd like to ask the lawyer, as well as the specifics of your accident.
When preparing a list of questions to ask the lawyer, you'll want to focus on questions that help you decide whether he or she is suitable to handle your case. Topics to discuss include:
- The attorney's educational background and professional expertise
- The attorney's experience negotiating Ohio personal injury settlements and handling Ohio personal injury lawsuits
- The attorney's estimate of the amount you could receive in an accident settlement
- The attorney's assessment of your case
- How the attorney charges for his or her time, and an estimate of the total legal fees and expenses you'd pay
You should also make notes about the details of your case. This will ensure that you don't accidently forget any important information during your initial consultation. Details to discuss include:
- When the accident occurred
- Where the accident occurred
- Who else was present at the time of the accident
- What happened to cause the accident
- What injuries you sustained
- What other accident-related expenses you have incurred
Bring your notes, accident-related documents, and list of questions with you each time you meet with an Ohio personal injury lawyer. You'll also want to bring some writing materials, so you can take notes during or after the meeting. If you meet with more than one lawyer, these notes will be particularly useful when it's time to decide which one to hire.
Also, know that anything you tell an attorney will remain confidential even if you ultimately decide to hire a different Ohio injury lawyer.
During & After Each Initial Consultation
As you talk to each attorney, think about how well the lawyer meets the following criteria:
- Has sufficient experience handling accident cases
- Suggests a strategy for handling your case that you agree with
- Provides a realistic estimate of the value of your case
- Proposes a reasonable legal fee and expenses
- Makes you feel comfortable and confident in relying on his or her advice and judgment
You can add to this list any personal criteria you have, such as a Spanish-speaking attorney or one who offers weekend appointments.
If, at the end of the meeting, you think the attorney is someone you'd consider hiring, ask for the contact information of past clients who would be willing to serve as references. You'll want to contact these references if you have a hard time choosing between two lawyers.
Selecting an Ohio Personal Injury Attorney
After you've met with each attorney, it's time to decide which one you want to hire for your accident case. Sometimes you'll immediately know which attorney is the best for your case. When this happens, your decision will be an easy one. Otherwise, think back to how well each attorney met your criteria. Once you find the lawyer who is the best fit, you're ready to move forward with your accident case.