North Dakota Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycle riding is a popular activity in North Dakota. State officials say the number of licensed bike drivers has steadily increased over the past 10 years. The number of motorcycle registrations is also on the rise. So it is more important than ever to know what to do in the event of a motorcycle accident.
Motorcycle Riding in North Dakota
Motorcycle riders are subject to the same rules as auto drivers. But there are additional rules that apply to bike riders. All motorcycle riders must get a Class M license or permit in order to ride in North Dakota.
To get a Class M license or permit, you must:
- Be age 16 or older.
- Be a state resident.
- Have proof of identity and residence. Documents include a valid North Dakota driver's license or proof of legal presence, current name, and birthday. Out-of-state documents do not qualify.
North Dakota law requires both two- and three-wheeled motorcycle riders to possess a Class M License or Permit. Riders caught driving without a Class M will get a $20 fine and four points on their driving records.
Types of Bike Crashes
Unfortunately, motorcycle accidents do happen. Common factors include:
- Speeding over posted limits
- Losing control of a bike on slick roads
- Driving through four-way intersections
- Bikes being hit by automobiles
- Drinking alcohol before riding
- Hitting road debris while driving
- Running into ropes or other barriers stretched across entryways
To avoid injury, it is important to follow driving laws and safety rules when riding. And always be aware of any potential hazards.
North Dakota Helmet Laws
Riders ages 17 and younger are required by state law to wear a helmet. Regardless of age, any passenger traveling with an under 18 motorcycle driver must also wear a helmet. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control recommends all riders wear safety helmets regardless of age. The agency notes helmets can prevent some injuries and deaths that occur when riding a bike.
Locate a Local Motorcycle Accident Attorney in North Dakota
When riding on the road, there is a risk of crash. If you are injured or in a liability situation after a motorcycle accident, an attorney can help. Call now to speak with a motorcycle accident attorney in North Dakota at 877-913-7222.