Get Started Finding a Local Attorney Now
Simply fill out this form to connect with an Attorney serving your area.
Maine Motorcycle Accidents
Legal problems, such as injury or liability issues, can occur after a motorcycle crash. If you are involved in a collision, a motorcycle accident attorney can help.
Bike Accidents in Maine
The largest percentage of Maine's vehicle accidents involve motorcycles. Most of these bike crashes happen during the day; statistics note accidents occur mostly in clear weather conditions and dry roads. According to the Maine Bureau of Highway Safety, dozens of motorcyclists are involved in fatal bike accidents each year.
Maine Motorcycle Laws: Did You Know?
Over the years there have been some changes made to Maine's motorcycle laws, including:
- In 1967, the first helmet laws were passed; these were repealed 10 years later.
- In 1974, motorcycle headlights were mandated.
- Motorcycle helmet laws were required for youths in 1980.
- Motorcycle operator education was mandated for riders under 21 in 1987.
Today, all motorcycle riders must meet these requirements.
Practice Safe Motorcycle Riding
While motorcycle accidents happen, many can be avoided. It is not uncommon to read in the news of fatal motorcycle crashes involving speeding and alcohol.
- Follow speed limits. Driving too fast often leads to serious accidents.
- Use care when driving through four-way intersections.
- Do not drink or use drugs and drive. Not only is it illegal, it can lead to injury or death.
- Avoid riding when tired.
- Wear a helmet. People who do not wear helmets have a higher chance of injury.
- Be careful when driving through entryways that might be roped off.
In Maine, over a four-year period, thousands of people were injured in motorcycle accidents. Obeying local laws and following safety rules can reduce your chance of an accident.
Locate a Local Maine Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Today
If you are hurt in a bike accident, an attorney can help. Your lawyer will assess your situation if there is a liability issue, even if the accident was your fault. Call now to speak with a motorcycle accident attorney in Maine at 877-913-7222.