When a motorcycle accident occurs, negligence and personal injury law, as well as products liability law, can help drivers, passengers, and other involved parties pay for their losses.
Negligence means that one person acted carelessly, which ultimately caused another person to be injured. Suppose, for example, that an automobile driver fails to check his blind spot before changing lanes and then swerves into a motorcycle, causing an accident. The automobile driver may have acted carelessly, causing the motorcycle driver to be injured.
Products liability law focuses on determining if a product is defective and whether that defect caused or contributed to the accident. A motorcycle accident attorney will be able to determine whether there are any known problems with a bike or if it has been subject to recalls. If there are potential defects that contributed to the crash, then a motorcycle accident lawyer can help you pursue a products liability claim against the manufacturer.
Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
Causes and contributing factors of motorcycle accidents include:
- Alcohol use
- Unlicensed and/or inexperienced drivers
- Drivers not paying enough attention
- Drivers violating the motorcycle's right of way
- Unsafe road conditions
- Design defects in the motorcycle
What Can You Recover in a Motorcycle Accident Lawsuit?
Victims in a motorcycle accident may be entitled to compensation and reimbursement for:
- Medical bills, including future medical expenses for health problems related to injuries sustained during the accident
- Lost wages if you were unable to work
- Repair or replacement of your motorcycle
- A rental vehicle while yours is being repaired
- Pain and suffering as a result of the accident
- Other out-of-pocket expenses
Working With an Attorney
If you've been involved in a motorcycle accident, you should strongly consider hiring a lawyer with experience in motorcycle accident law. A motorcycle accident attorney will know the motorcycle laws in your state and will be knowledgeable about different types of bikes. He or she will also have access to experts who can help investigate the facts of the accident.
Find a Local Motorcycle Accident Attorney
- District Of Columbia
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina