Boating Accidents in Mississippi
Boating is a favorite pastime in the coastal waters, rivers, and lakes of Mississippi. But it is not without risk. All too often, boating accidents result from someone else’s carelessness. If you have been hurt or lost property in such an incident, you may have grounds for a lawsuit. A Mississippi boat accident attorney can help.
What Should You Do After a Boat Accident?
Mississippi law outlines specific guidelines for what to do in case of a boat accident:
- Stop and offer aid to anyone who needs it. But only if you can do so safely.
- Exchange names, contact information, and boat registration numbers with other parties involved.
- File a report within 48 hours if the accident resulted in death, a missing person, or disability lasting more than 24 hours. For accidents that occur north of Interstate 10, you must file the report with the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, & Parks. If the accident was south of Interstate 10, file with the Mississippi Department of Marine Resources.
- For other accidents, if damage exceeds $100, you have five days to file a report.
Your next move should be to ensure your legal interests are in good hands. A boat accident lawyer can assess your case and represent you both in and outside of the courtroom.
What Types of Damages Can You Recover?
Depending on your situation, a Mississippi boat lawyer may be able to help you recover costs for:
- Past, current, and future medical bills related to the incident
- Lost wages for time away from work
- Repair or replacement of damaged property
- Pain and suffering
Boat accident lawyers work with these types of cases every day. They can make a big difference in the outcome of yours.
Locate a Local Boat Attorney in Mississippi
If you were in a boating accident, you likely have questions and concerns about your legal rights. Get help from a legal pro who knows the boating laws in your state. Call now to speak with a boat accidents lawyer in Mississippi at 877-913-7222.