Boat & Boating Accidents
Get Started Finding a Local Attorney Now
Simply fill out this form to connect with an Attorney serving your area.
Boating Accidents in Minnesota
Boaters bear the responsibility to take precautions to minimize the risk of accidents. Disaster sometimes strikes for reasons beyond our control. But all too often, someone’s carelessness is to blame. If you have been hurt or lost property in such an accident, you may have grounds for a lawsuit. A Minnesota boat accident attorney can help you get compensation for your losses.
What Factors Contribute to Boating Accidents?
No two boat accidents are the same. But there are some common factors that may lead to them, including:
- Using alcohol or other drugs while operating a boat
- Not following safety procedures
- Speeding or other reckless behavior
- Manufacturing defects in the vessel
- Not properly maintaining a boat
- Not heeding weather or other advisories
Proving fault is not always easy. Boat lawyers often turn to expert witnesses, accident reconstruction procedures, and other methods of proof.
Boating Responsibly in Minnesota
To avoid collisions, the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources recommends that boaters:
- Keep the throttle depressed while turning.
- Keep a safe distance between your vessel and other boats.
- Make turns gradually.
- Look before turning to ensure no other vessels are in your path.
If an accident does occur, you should:
- Stop at the scene and offer aid to anyone who needs it, if you can do so safely.
- Call 911 for help, if needed.
- Exchange information with other parties involved. Include name, contact information, vessel ID number, and the name of the boat owner, if it is someone other than yourself.
By law, you also must file a report with the local sheriff’s office if:
- Property damage exceeds $2,000.
- There was a serious injury or fatality.
You should also tend to your best interests as soon as possible. A boat lawyer can best represent you both in and outside of the courtroom.
Locate a Local Boating Accidents Lawyer in Minnesota
A boating accident can turn a day on the water into a tragedy. You should at least be able to rest assured that legal matters related to the incident are in good hands. Call now to speak with a boat accidents attorney in Minnesota at 877-913-7222.