Boat & Boating Accidents
Get Started Finding a Local Attorney Now
Simply fill out this form to connect with an Attorney serving your area.
Boating Accidents in Indiana
A boating accident can turn a day on the water into a tragedy. The use of alcohol, speeding, and other careless behaviors are often to blame. If you were in a boating accident that was someone else's fault, you may have grounds for a lawsuit. An Indiana boat accidents lawyer can help.
What to Do After a Boating Accident in Indiana
Like other states, Indiana has specific rules for boating. Under Indiana law, boat operators who are involved in accidents that result in property damage, injury, or death must follow the required guidelines. You should:
- Stop as closely as possible to the accident scene.
- Give your name and address, as well as information about the boat. If you are not the owner of the boat, provide the name and contact information for the person who is.
- If asked, show your operator’s license to authorities and other parties involved.
- Provide reasonable aid to injured persons. This may include transporting them to a medical facility for care.
Boating accidents must be reported within 24 hours. You can report the incident to the nearest sheriff's office, state police, or the Department of Natural Resources. You might also want to contact an attorney right away.
What Types of Damages Can You Recover?
Depending on the circumstances of your accident, a boat accident attorney in Indiana may be able to help you recover costs for:
- Past, current, and future medical bills for all injuries
- Lost wages, if you needed to take time off from your job because of the accident
- Lost or damaged property
- Pain and suffering
Of course, each case is unique. Lawyers who handle boat accident cases in Indiana are well versed in the state's boating laws. They can build a strong case on your behalf.
Locate a Local Boat Accident Attorney
If you were involved in a boating accident, you likely have questions and concerns. Get in touch with an attorney who can give you real answers about your case. Call now to speak with an Indiana boat accidents lawyer at 877-913-7222.