Boating Accidents in Delaware
Boating is a popular pastime for families, fisherman, and sports enthusiasts, and it is a way to earn a living for many. But it is not without risks. Boating accidents can cause serious injury, damages, or even death. If you were in a boat accident that was someone else's fault, you may have grounds for a lawsuit. A Delaware boat accidents lawyer can help.
Operating a Boat Responsibly
Not all boating accidents are preventable. But boat owners and operators are expected take reasonable precautions to lower the risk. These include:
- Properly maintaining the boat
- Making sure safety equipment works
- Following safety procedures
- Not using alcohol or other substances while operating the vessel
- Not speeding or engaging in other reckless behaviors
Anyone who fails to take such measures may be liable for damages that result. A boat accidents attorney can make a real difference in the outcome of your case.
Boat Laws in Delaware
Boating in Delaware is a privilege. You must take a boating safety class before you can legally operate a boat or personal watercraft in the state. The law applies to those born on or before Jan. 1, 1978. The course covers:
- Basic boating skills
- Speed limits and other state laws
- Safety measures
- Challenging weather and water conditions
- Common sense and courtesy
- What to do in case of emergency
The law also mandates that you report serious boating accidents to local authorities. You must report any accident that results in:
- Death or a missing person
- Injury that requires more than first aid
- Damage in excess of $500
You may face criminal charges if you do not report such an event. Your lawyer can advise you about your specific situation.
Locate a Local Boating Accident Lawyer in Delaware
No one expects to be in a boating accident. If it happens to you, you're likely to have questions and concerns about your legal rights. Get help from a legal pro who knows the boating laws in your state. Call now to speak with a boat accident attorney in Delaware at 877-913-7222.