Alabama Personal Injury
If you have experienced a personal injury because of an accident that happened in Alabama that was caused by another party, you might be entitled to receive compensation for your injuries, damages, and losses. The monetary compensation that comprises your recovery is intended to reimburse you for the following items:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Past and future lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Permanent disability and disfigurement
- Out-of-pocket costs and expenses
- Loss of consortium
- Property damage
What Cases Do Personal Injury Attorneys Typically Take?
Personal injury law encompasses the mental, physical, and emotional harm inflicted upon a person that is caused by another party’s negligent conduct. Personal injuries occur in a variety of ways. Each Alabama attorney and law firm practicing in the personal injury arena has a diverse practice and client base, but there is typically a commonality in the cases they take, including
- Auto accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Trucking accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Injuries on private property and premises liability
- Recreational accidents
- Fatal accidents
- Slips and falls
- Wrongful death
How Do I Prove Negligence?
To collect a recovery in an Alabama personal injury case, the injured party must prove that the defendant was negligent. The legal principle of negligence is established by showing all of these elements:
- Legal duty of the defendant not to harm the injured party
- Breach of that duty by the defendant
- Actual and proximate causation of the damages or injuries to the plaintiff as a direct result of the defendant’s conduct
- Damages or resulting harm to the injured party
Alabama Pure Contributory Negligence Rule
As in only four other states in the U.S., Alabama has adopted the pure contributory negligence rule. Under this strict minority rule, injured parties cannot recover damages if they are fault to any degree for their injuries. That fault can be as minimal as 1 percent and still operate as a complete bar to the injured party’s ultimate recovery.
Questions When Hiring a Personal Injury Attorney
Personal injury cases vary in severity of injuries and the money at stake for potential recovery to the injured party. It may seem overwhelming to screen attorneys to decide which one will best present your personal injury claim. Here are some questions to ask a prospective attorney:
- How many cases like mine have you handled?
- How many cases have you tried in court?
- What percentage of cases do you try in court?
- What percentage of cases do you negotiate and settle?
- What is my case worth in your best estimation?
- What will you do to make sure I recover the amount I deserve?
- What facts do you base your evaluation of my case on?
- What is your peer review rating among lawyers and judges?
Locate a Local Alabama Personal Injury Attorney Today
An Alabama personal injury attorney can represent you in state court proceedings. He can examine and evaluate your case and assess the bases for recovery and probable damages. He can highlight the strengths and weaknesses of your claim and outline a likely timeline for negotiating or litigating the case. An Alabama personal injury attorney will assist you in navigating the state court system at every stage and best position you for a maximum favorable recovery. Call now to speak with a personal injury attorney in Alabama at 877-913-7222.