Nursing Home Abuse
Get Started Finding a Local Attorney Now
Simply fill out this form to connect with an Attorney serving your area.
Nursing Home Abuse in Wyoming
If you or someone you love is the victim of nursing home abuse, there are several ways to end the abuse and ensure that the abuser is punished for his or her actions. Under Wyoming law, nursing home abuse is a crime. Abuse victims can also file a personal injury lawsuit against the abuser in Wyoming District Court. A nursing home abuse attorney or personal injury lawyer can explain your legal options in more detail.
Civil & Criminal Law Approaches to Nursing Home Abuse in Wyoming
Nursing home abuse victims have two major avenues for addressing abuse and punishing their abuser:
- Report the abuse to local police as well as the Wyoming Long-Term Care Ombudsman. They will investigate abuse allegations and press criminal charges against the abuser if there's enough evidence. If found guilty of abuse, the abuser may be put on probation, sentenced to jail or required to pay fines and penalties.
- Hire a nursing home abuse lawyer and file a personal injury lawsuit against the abuser in civil court. If the victim wins his or her lawsuit, the abuser can be required to pay compensation—known as damages—for any abuse-related medical expenses; stolen, damaged or destroyed property; and pain and suffering.
As you are considering a civil lawsuit against your abuser, there are a few important things to understand:
- Ultimately, the victim does not control whether the police decide to file criminal charges against the abuser.
- Even if the abuser is charged and found guilty of abuse in criminal court, the fines that may be paid go to the government, not the abuse victim.
- You can file a personal injury lawsuit against your abuser regardless of the outcome of any criminal investigation.
Your nursing home abuse lawyer can help you determine the best timing for a civil lawsuit and whether it should be filed before a criminal investigation is complete or after criminal proceedings have ended.
Find & Hire Wyoming Nursing Home Abuse Attorneys
Whether you live in Casper, Cheyenne, Laramie or elsewhere in Wyoming, Attorneys.com can help you locate nursing home abuse lawyers in your area. Call 877-913-7222 or complete the form on this page to get connected to local attorneys.