Medical Malpractice in South Carolina
A doctor's failure to treat a health condition, as well as mistakes made during treatment, can all lead to serious health problems or even death. If you've been sickened or a loved one has been killed as a result of a healthcare provider's mistake, you may have grounds for a medical malpractice lawsuit. A South Carolina medical malpractice attorney can help you get appropriate compensation for your injuries.
South Carolina Medical Malpractice Basics
Medical malpractice is one of the most misunderstood areas of law. That's because many people mistakenly assume that malpractice includes any medical treatment which causes their health to worsen. But that isn't the case.
To have a successful medical malpractice lawsuit, you and your South Carolina medical malpractice lawyer must successfully prove:
- That the healthcare professional failed to follow the standard of care, or typical treatment protocols and safety rules, in providing your care
- You were injured as a result of that mistake
- The injury cost you money
It isn't easy to prove that a medical professional failed to adhere to the standards of care. That's because these standards vary according to any number of factors, including the age, gender and race of the patient, the symptoms presented and even the part of the country where you're residing.
For example, imagine two patients, each of whom has a suspicious patch of skin. A doctor in Minnesota might approach a 10-year-old who always wears sunscreen differently than a South Carolina doctor would approach a 70-year-old who's spent years playing golf in South Carolina and doesn't wear sunscreen. There is a different standard of care based on the age, location and personal habits of the patients.
Questions to Ask When Interviewing South Carolina Personal Injury Attorneys
Before hiring a South Carolina medical malpractice or personal injury lawyer, you'll want to spend some time getting to know the attorney. This meeting is usually known as an initial consultation, and it is your opportunity to both tell the lawyer about your situation and decide if the attorney is the right person to handle your case.
Come to the initial consultation with a list of questions you'd like the attorney to answer. The answers to these questions should help with your hiring decision. Sample questions include:
- How long have you practiced medical malpractice law?
- Do you also handle other types of personal injury cases? How much of your practice is devoted to medical malpractice work?
- Have you previously handled cases similar to mine? What were the outcomes?
- What are my legal options?
- What's your overall assessment of my case? What are the chances it will be successful?
- How much could I reasonably expect to receive if my lawsuit is successful?
- How do you charge for your services? Can you estimate how much I'll owe you?
Additionally, discover more questions to ask when selecting a medical malpractice attorney.
Find & Hire a South Carolina Medical Malpractice Lawyer
If you need help finding a South Carolina med mal attorney, you've come to the right website. Attorneys.com offers a free service that can connect you with attorneys in your area who have experience representing medical malpractice victims. Phone us at 877-913-7222 or fill out the form on this page to get started. We'll ask you a few simple questions, then put you in touch with a local South Carolina medical malpractice lawyer.