Labor And Employment
Get Started Finding a Local Attorney Now
Simply fill out this form to connect with an Attorney serving your area.
Labor & Employment in Virginia
No workplace is perfect, but some are worse than others. If you think your employer is taking safety shortcuts that put your health and safety at risk, or if you feel as if you're being harassed on the job or discriminated against, or if your employer is doing anything else that feels legally "wrong," then you should speak to a Virginia labor and employment attorney. A lawyer can help you resolve these kinds of legal problems, and also assist you if you need to negotiate a job-related contract or agreement with your employer.
Reasons to Hire a Virginia Labor & Employment Lawyer
During the course of your career, there are any number of situations in which you may need to hire a Virginia employment law attorney. These include:
- If your employer asks you to sign an employment contract, severance agreement, relocation agreement, non-compete agreement or other legally binding document
- If your Virginia unemployment claim has been denied
- If you think your employer or potential employer has discriminated against you
- If you're disabled and have been denied a reasonable accommodation under the Americans With Disabilities Act
- If you've been injured on the job and need help with a workers' compensation claim
- If there are unsafe working conditions at your job or you're the victim of workplace violence
- If your employer fails to pay you for all of the hours you've worked or denies overtime and you're a non-exempt employee
You have certain legal rights in the workplace, and your employer has certain obligations to its employees. If you think your rights are being violated, a Virginia employment lawyer can help you resolve the situation.
Questions to Ask When Hiring a Virginia Labor Law Attorney
Before hiring an attorney, you should schedule what is known as an initial consultation. This preliminary meeting—which can occur in person or over the phone—allows you to tell the lawyer a bit about your situation or problem and ask the attorney about his or her experience and skills.
When interviewing a labor and employment lawyer in Virginia, focus on topics that will help you decide whether you'd like to hire the lawyer. Questions to ask might include:
- How long have you practiced law?
- Do you only practice labor and employment law, or do you do other types of legal work, too?
- Are your clients primarily employees or employers?
- Have you previously represented clients with problems similar to mine?
- What are my legal options? What are the pros and cons of each option?
- How do you charge for your services? Can you estimate my total legal fees?
Get more information about why you should hire an attorney for labor and employment issues.
Find & Hire a Virginia Labor & Employment Law Lawyer
If you are facing a problem at work, then you need to address it quickly. The sooner you deal with it, the sooner you can focus on more important things—like doing your job and earning a living.
Attorneys.com offers a free service that can connect you with Virginia labor lawyers in your area. From Virginia Beach to Arlington, from Richmond to Norfolk, we can put you in touch with Virginia employment attorneys in your area. Simply call us at 877-913-7222 or fill out the form to get started. We'll match quickly match you with a local attorney so you can address your legal issue.