Labor & Employment in Vermont
You may think of your employer as a company that looks out for you and has your best interests in mind while you labor away and earn your paycheck. Think again. In all likelihood, your company cares most about the bottom line. It may cut corners or make decisions that infringe upon your rights as a worker or put your health and safety in jeopardy. And you may need to hire a Vermont labor and employment attorney to protect your rights.
Common Employment Law Problems
Each and every workplace is governed by thousands of federal and Vermont labor and employment laws. Some of these regulations are industry-specific. Others apply to companies of all sizes. Some may only be applicable to businesses of a certain size or with a certain number of employees. This tangle of rules and regulations can be confusing to the average person, which is why you should get specialized legal expertise when dealing with a tricky legal problem and your employer.
Among the more common types of work-related issues for which you should consider hiring an attorney:
- Compensation issues ranging from the negotiation of a job contract or severance agreement to undercompensation, overtime issues and minimum wage issues
- Illegal treatment of employees in the workplace, including discrimination, sexual harassment and refusal to provide reasonable accommodations to disabled workers under the Americans With Disabilities Act
- If you've been injured on the job or diagnosed with an occupational illness and need help with Vermont workers' compensation
- If you think you've been wrongfully terminated or if you've filed for unemployment compensation and your application was denied
- If your employer asks you to sign a job-related legal document, such as a non-compete or non-disclosure agreement, or a relocation agreement
Experienced labor and employment attorneys can help guide you through the process of resolving work-related problems while trying to maintain your relationship with your employer, if appropriate.
Find & Hire a Local Vermont Labor & Employment Attorney
Do you need help finding a labor law attorney in your area? You've come to the right website. If you live in Burlington, Rutland, Barre or elsewhere in Vermont, Attorneys.com offers a free legal referral service that can match you to a local lawyer. To get started, fill out the form on this page or call us at 877-913-7222. We'll quickly connect you with a labor and employment law lawyer in your area.