Labor & Employment in Louisiana
There are countless times in your career in which you may need to hire a Louisiana labor and employment attorney. Perhaps you've been injured on the job and need workers' compensation. Or maybe you need an attorney to review a job contract or severance agreement. A Louisiana employment lawyer can offer legal advice and help you resolve disputes with your employer.
Common Louisiana Labor & Employment Problems
Broadly speaking, you should hire a Louisiana labor and employment lawyer any time you need legal advice that specifically pertains to the workplace. Some common situations would include:
- When accepting a job, including negotiating an employment contract or relocation package
- Any time you think you're a victim of job-related discrimination, including in the hiring process, if you've been denied a promotion, if you were terminated as a result of discrimination or if you think you're being treated unfairly in the workplace
- If you are working in unsafe conditions and think your employer is disregarding worker safety laws or unnecessarily putting your health and welfare at risk
- If you've been the victim of a workplace accident or developed a job-related illness and need to file for Louisiana workers' compensation
- When you feel as if you're being denied compensation to which you are entitled, including overtime and an hourly wage
- If you experience violence in the workplace
- If you're leaving a job and feel as if you were unfairly terminated or denied unemployment
A Louisiana employment attorney can review the specifics of your situation, explain your legal options and help you ensure you're being treated fairly.
Things to Consider When Hiring Louisiana Labor & Employment Attorneys
Before hiring a Louisiana employment lawyer, you'll want to speak to the attorney and ensure he or she is the right person to handle your issue. As you may already realize, labor and employment law encompasses a lot of subpractices—everything from contract negotiations to workers' compensation—and some labor lawyers will have more experience in one aspect of employment law than another.
Most Louisiana labor and employment lawyers offer prospective clients a free or low-cost initial consultation. At this preliminary meeting, you can interview the attorney and explain what type of job problem or issue you're facing. Attorneys are bound by strong ethics laws that forbid them from divulging anything you say without your explicit permission. Even if you don't hire the lawyer, you should feel comfortable sharing the details of your situation.
Make a list of questions to ask during the initial consultation, focusing on anything that might influence your hiring decision. For example, if you need to meet with the lawyer at nights or on weekends, you'll want to ask about that. Or if you require a Spanish-speaking lawyer, you'd want to ask about language skills.
Other topics to consider include the lawyer's educational background and experience handling cases similar to yours, as well as the anticipated cost of hiring the attorney.
Find & Hire a Louisiana Employment Attorney
When you're ready to speak to a Louisiana employment lawyer, then Attorneys.com can connect you with one in your area. From Baton Rouge to Shreveport—and all points in between—we can put you in touch with local Louisiana labor and employment attorneys.
To use our free service, call us at 877-913-7222 or fill out the form on this page. We'll ask you a few simple questions and then quickly match you with a lawyer in your area.