Get Started Finding a Local Attorney Now
Simply fill out this form to connect with an Attorney serving your area.
West Virginia Immigration
Understanding which type of visa you need and how to make sure it gets approved can be complicated. An immigration lawyer in West Virginia can explain the steps that apply to you.
Applying For an Immigrant Visa
Before applying for a visa, you need to figure out which category applies to you. Examples include:
- Immediate family of a U.S. citizen
- Other relative of a U.S. citizen
- Immediate relative of a legal permanent resident
- Employment opportunity
- Refugee fleeing persecution
For family and worked based visas, you may need to have your family member or employer file a petition on your behalf before you can apply for your visa.
Once your petition is approved, if necessary, you can submit your visa application. It asks for current and past information such as:
- Where you plan to live in the United States
- Parents' names and place of birth
- Your children's information
- Employment history
- Educational history
You will also need to:
- Submit two photos
- Get a medical exam and vaccinations
- Have an interview at the consulate
Your family member or employer may also need to file an Affidavit of Support to ensure you will have a way of supporting yourself.
Why a Visa Might Be Denied
There are many reasons the Department of State might refuse to issue a visa. The immigrant visa application (DS-230) lists certain categories of people who are ineligible for entry and ask if any apply to you. If they do, you will not be able to get a visa. If you lie on the form and consular officials uncover the truth, your application will be denied. People ineligible for entry include those who:
- Are coming to the country to practice polygamy
- Have not received received the required vaccinations (unless exempt)
- Are likely to become dependent on the government
- Have been deported for certain reasons or within a certain number of years
In some cases, you may be eligible for a waiver so that you can enter the country.
Locate a Local West Virginia Immigration Lawyer Today
A knowledgeable attorney can help you get all the parts of your application right. Call now to speak with an immigration attorney in West Virginia at 877-913-7222.