Get Started Finding a Local Attorney Now
Simply fill out this form to connect with an Attorney serving your area.
The United States has a long tradition of welcoming people to live within its borders. Each year thousands of people move to Pennsylvania. The U.S. Census notes about 5.7 percent of people living in Pennsylvania are foreign born.
Many immigrants follow the path of citizenship. If you have been living in the U.S. and want to become a citizen, an immigration lawyer can help you through the process.
What Is Naturalization?
Naturalization is the path to citizenship. Certain conditions must first be met before a person can apply:
- You must be at least 18 years old.
- You must be a lawful resident. A green card establishes permanent residence in the U.S.
- You must have lived in the U.S. for at least five years.
- You must have a good moral character.
Before citizenship is granted, you must also pass English and civics testing. Study guides and self tests are provided online.
Steps to Citizenship
Once these conditions are met, a person is eligible to apply for naturalization. According to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, there are several steps to take. First it will be determined if you are already a citizen. If officials conclude you are not a citizen, these steps are required to complete the process:
- Fill out and submit application for naturalization.
- Make an appointment to get a background check.
- Participate in an interview with immigration officials.
- Wait for a decision. If your application is denied, you are allowed to appeal.
Once approved, you will participate in a naturalization ceremony. This ceremony is the final step in the naturalization process. It is the day you take your oath and become a full-fledged citizen.
Locate a Local Pennsylvania Immigration Lawyer Today
Becoming a U.S. citizen is a lengthy and detailed process. A lawyer can check to make sure your paperwork is in order as you apply to become a citizen. Call now to speak with an immigration attorney in Pennsylvania at 877-913-7222.