Legal Articles
Get Started Finding a Local Attorney Now

Simply fill out this form to connect with an Attorney serving your area.

Nevada Immigration

Federal immigration laws set the rules for deciding who may come to the United States and why. It also outlines who may petition on behalf of a potential immigrant and what you need to do once you arrive in the country. An immigration lawyer can help make sure you take all the right steps.

Getting an Immigration Visa

If you want to move to Nevada from another country, you will need the U.S. government's approval. This approval comes in the form of an immigration visa. There are many categories under which you can qualify, including:

  • Having family in the U.S.
  • Being engaged to a U.S. citizen
  • Having a job offer

In general, your family member, employer, or fiance will need to petition on your behalf.

Categories for Visa Qualification

Some people qualify for visas as refugees or battered spouses. And a little-known program enacted in 2006 allows Cuban doctors working in other countries to legally immigrate to the U.S. Depending on the category you apply in, it can take several years to actually get your visa. Once you do, you must use it to travel to the U.S. before it expires. Shortly after you arrive, you should receive your green card in the mail.

Fiance visas are a little different. They are conditional and expire 90 days after you enter the country. If you get married in that time, you can apply for your green card. If not, you will have to leave the country.

Changing Temporary Visa Status to Immigrant Status

Sometimes people who enter the country on a temporary visa decide they would like to stay. Some do so illegally, by simply not leaving when their visas expire. But there is a better way, called an adjustment of status. This procedure allows you to request permanent resident status without going home and applying for an immigrant visa. You will still need to meet the same qualifications as for an immigrant visa.

Locate a Local Nevada Immigration Lawyer Today

Immigrating to the U.S. can be a long, confusing process. You need someone on your side who understands the law. Call now to speak with an immigration attorney in Nevada at 877-913-7222.