Legal Articles
Get Started Finding a Local Attorney Now

Simply fill out this form to connect with an Attorney serving your area.

Hawaii Immigration

United States immigration law has changed in recent years. Today’s political culture is not entirely pro-immigration, and rules are becoming complex for legally entering the U.S. It is more important than ever to hire an attorney if you desire citizenship or want to live and work in the country.

Can You DIY in Immigration Issues?

In most cases, you probably cannot afford to gamble with legal status or residency. It is hard to navigate the highly technical immigration law maze alone. There is a lot of red tape and bureaucracy because the government is involved. Deadlines are tight, and filing the right forms with the right information the first time is crucial.

What Is the Dream Act I Hear So Much About?

On June 15, 2012, the Obama Administration rolled out a new immigration policy geared to younger people. Young undocumented immigrants are eligible for help under what is called the Dream Act.

What Does the Dream Act Do?

The Dream Act helps eligible young people get immunity from deportation. It allows young undocumented immigrations to get Deferred Action, which is advantageous because:

  • It stops deportation for a young person facing it
  • It allows standing deportation orders to be re-opened in some instances
  • It provides for a temporary two-year relief period that can be potentially extended
  • It allows a young person to get a work permit
  • It allows a young person to get an Employment Authorization Card

Who Is Protected Under the Dream Act?

To be eligible for relief under the Dream Act, you must meet the following requirements:

  • You came to the U.S. when you were 15 years or younger
  • You were living in the U.S. for a continuous period for at least five years as of June 15, 2012
  • You were in the U.S. on June 15, 2012
  • You are in school, have graduated from high school, have a GED, or were an honorably discharged veteran of the Coast Guard or U.S. Armed Forces
  • You have no conviction for a felony, major misdemeanor, multiple misdemeanors, and you do not present a security or safety threat and
  • You are 29 years old or younger

Contact a Hawaii Immigration Attorney Today

Immigration attorneys perform key legal services for you and your family in personal and work situations. Don’t struggle with the immigration legal issues on your own. The stakes and risks are too high. Call now to speak with a local immigration lawyer at 877-913-7222.