Get Started Finding a Local Attorney Now
Simply fill out this form to connect with an Attorney serving your area.
District of Columbia Immigration
American immigration law has changed a great deal. Rules are growing more complex, as the political climate shifts. Even slight missteps can have big impacts on your ability to legally reside and work in the United States. A Washington, D.C., immigration lawyer can help.
Who Is Eligible for U.S. Citizenship?
There are many pathways to U.S. citizenship. Many legal permanent residents can go through the process of naturalization. If one of both of your parents is a legal U.S. resident, you may be able to obtain citizenship automatically. Or you may gain citizenship when one or both parents go through naturalization. Still, there are no guarantees. The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) may try to deny or revoke citizenship.
How Can a D.C. Attorney Help?
The American immigration legal maze is complicated. And the stakes are high. Even minor oversights could ruin your chances for obtaining your:
- Non-immigrant visa
- Green card or
- U.S. citizenship
Immigration attorneys guide clients through these processes every day. They are familiar with the subtle nuances and know how to avoid pitfalls.
Why Is Immigration Law Complex?
Immigration law is complex for a number of reasons:
- It touches and concerns multiple federal agencies.
- It involves many rules and regulations.
- Nothing in the process is automatic.
- Deadlines are tight and rigidly construed.
- Mistakes can be costly and with severe results.
- The process is time-consuming; it can take years to complete.
What Should I Do If I Face Removal?
If the U.S. government commences removal proceedings against you, immigration lawyers in the D.C. area can help you figure out:
- What type of protection to apply for (asylum, withholding of removal, cancellation of removal, temporary protected status, and/or voluntary departure)
- What forms are needed
- What relief is available
- Applicable deadlines
- What needs to be done to meet filing requirements
Locate a Local D.C. Immigration Lawyer
Immigration lawyers perform key legal services for you and your family in personal and work scenarios. Do not fumble in frustration with immigration issues on your own. Call today to speak with an immigration attorney in the District of Columbia at 877-913-7222.